• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

experiences with aftermarket intakes

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
hi guys im planning to install a high performance air filter in my 2.5, im planning on a kit offered on ebay, it has the adapter and the air filter, anyone here has done this, whta are the mayor changes in your trucks?? im doing it mostly to get a nicier sound when i rev up my engine
they say that the power response increases a bit, thats cool too.

what u have to say about this? anyone has done the same thing?
tell me how u feel your truck after doing it

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
well after installing a conical filter on my 2.3 the only dif i seen was noise. this can be also accomplished by removing the silencer in the stock airbox, and doesnt cost you any money. i will keep my filter on my trk simply cuz i cant find the reciept to take it back...:bawling:

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
You will most likely notice a 5hp loss. The adapter and open filter element allow all that hot air in the engine bay to be sucked into your intake instead of the ambient outside air. But you will hear an increase in intake noise.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
yeah, well my 2.5 doesnt seem to have any silencer

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
i made one for mine, i like the way it sounds so it stays, power feeels about the same maybe a little peppier. everyone will tell you that what you doing is a 'warm air intake' and stock is the greatest cold air system ever engineered. let them think what they want. i just like the sound, so i keep mine. but there is so much open space in the front of the engine bay, that the air you're pulling through a cone filter isn't gonna be any hotter than the stock intake. And it'll be less restrictive to boot.

Last edited:

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i think you just opened up a huge can full of arguements...

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
i made one for mine, i like the way it sounds so it stays, power feeels about the same maybe a little peppier. everyone will tell you that what you doing is a 'warm air intake' and stock is the greatest cold air system ever engineered. let them think what they want. i just like the sound, so i keep mine. but there is so much open space in the front of the engine bay, that the air you're pulling through a cone filter isn't gonna be any hotter than the stock intake. And it'll be less restrictive to boot.
Did the tornado help out too?

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
i think you just opened up a huge can full of arguements...
haha, i know, but i'm not going to argue about it I like mine so i am going to keep it. if you actually isolate the filter from the rest of the engine bay it's not going to be pulling warm air like everyone else will say. Besides that it's not everyone else's truck it's yours so do whatever you want :D

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
haha, i know, but i'm not going to argue about it I like mine so i am going to keep it. if you actually isolate the filter from the rest of the engine bay it's not going to be pulling warm air like everyone else will say. Besides that it's not everyone else's truck it's yours so do whatever you want :D
yeah lol!!:icon_thumby: well im gonna do this:
get the adapter and a cone air filter,and leave the bottom part of the air flter box, so that way the fresh air from under the light still be used, im doing it mostly for the sound they give, if i feel any power loss or mpg loss, i just simply reinstall the stock
i must say in my 97tercel i did the same mod and the engine sounded great, the mpg stayed as stock intake, and i believe i got bit more response from the engine, so im gonna try

SpeedNinja

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
I got a conical K&N kit with a shroud to block the warm air. It's noisier. I can actually hear the truck run now. More power? Could be, not that you'll notice a tad more power from a 4,000lb vehicle with no power to begin with. I am getting much better mileage now though. Before I could get 22mpg on a good day, now that's a very very bad day. Highest I've gotten is 26.5mpg but that's only on a one tank average...

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
I got a conical K&N kit with a shroud to block the warm air. It's noisier. I can actually hear the truck run now. More power? Could be, not that you'll notice a tad more power from a 4,000lb vehicle with no power to begin with. I am getting much better mileage now though. Before I could get 22mpg on a good day, now that's a very very bad day. Highest I've gotten is 26.5mpg but that's only on a one tank average...

well thanks for the comment, my truck is reg cab, so it weights less, so the engine feels more powerful than the extcab, we're planning to install the same setup in mine,aand my bro's 3.0v6, so at least we're going to get a troahty deeper sound, thats what we want
:icon_thumby:

SpeedNinja

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
HAHA!!! No crap, we'll be throwing the same thing on my bro's 3.0L too.
Not to get off topic but when I get the cash I'll probably throw on a long tube header, high flow cat and a Flowmaster 40 series for a little better sound and power, but mostly for mileage purposes. You might be able to do something like that too (don't know the parts availability in Honduras).

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
HAHA!!! No crap, we'll be throwing the same thing on my bro's 3.0L too.
Not to get off topic but when I get the cash I'll probably throw on a long tube header, high flow cat and a Flowmaster 40 series for a little better sound and power, but mostly for mileage purposes. You might be able to do something like that too (don't know the parts availability in Honduras).
yeah that would be great, well if i order stuff from internet i can do it, but the prices are too high, because of the shipping, so if i want something i must go "custom made":D
a exhaust modification would be great, but i dont really want it to be a loud ass truck:dunno: im kind of tired fo the loud exhausts because my prev ride

SpeedNinja

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
The 2.5L doesn't really get loud... although, the cab is noisy as hell without extra help from the exhaust. Maybe some Dynamat would be the solution.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals