• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 2.3T... Getting it Ready!

Dddaviso7

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
4.6,2.9,2.3t
Transmission
Manual
Alright, I just got the 88 turbocoupe motor on my engine stand. I'm planning on "prepping" it for install. I want to replace the head gasket, valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, turbo gasket, intake/exhaust manifolds gaskets and the rear main seal. I just want to make sure im not going to have to pull it back out for a while. Is there anything else I should look into while I'm at it?

Could you list any gaskets if i missed some, I don't want to miss any. And if you guys could list any part #'s with suggestions, that would be appreciated!

Thanks guys and gals,
-Davis

pearldrumbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Do you know how well the engine ran before? Did you do a compression check? If not you may want to at least check out the piston rings.

As far as part numbers go, whatever teh basic engine gasket kit is at any big chain part store is fine, but go with a felpro 1035 head gasket.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
I would seriously consider honing the cylinders and replacing the rings and bearings (rod and main). These are all relatively cheap parts that are easy to do when the engines on a stand. You at least need to hone out the ridge at the top of the cylinder walls.

skyy_4life

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
yea i would deffinatly reccomend honing the cylinder while its apart. it will make a world of difference.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals