• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Got a Question About Lowering/Leafspring

SykoRanger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
hey guys just joined up, im going to drop my ranger here soon, gonna cut a coil and a half for the front drop of about 2in and the back im gonna flip the shackles, so bout 2in for the back and i was wandering what you all think about pulling a leaf spring also, so i can get a level look, im afraid if i just cut the coils and flip the shackles that the back end will still stick up higher and i want a level look, i was gonna pull the middle leaf spring, any thoughts or previous experience? thanks.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
the guys here would rather see you buy a pair of 2" lowering springs rather than cut the originals. I cut 2 full coils off my '89 Ranger coils to get a 3" drop ( 1/2 coil at a time because I wasn't sure what the drop at the front bumper would be because of the distance from the spring to the bumper). First park the truck on flat ground & measure the distance from the bumper to the ground for a starting point. Note: The coils can be cut without completely removing them from the vehicle (un-bolt one end of the shocks to allow the coil to expand until it is loose.I know this is time consuming, but after making the first cut, be sure to rotate the tops of the coils into place in the upper coil supports & test drive the vehicle on your street to get the modified coils to seat so the suspension will settle properly. But remember, I wouldn't do it/drop coils are cheep & safe.
About the rear suspension, Please don't remove any of the "leafs". It'll ruin the stack fast. But if you gotta, remove the over-load leaf (the extra thick bottom leaf--you'll get a smoother ride, but you won't be able to carry heavy loads any more). Then do the hanger flip. Be sure to get the front end aligned after you're satisfied with the drop!

Last edited:

constant_projecttruck

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 Ford
Transmission
Automatic
x2....drop coils are too cheep to cut your stock coils. As for the leafs...doorgunner is right again...you'll be buying new drop leafs in 4 months when your stock ones sag more than granny after removing anything.

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Been said many many times - drop coils are designed for the drop. Stock coils are designed for stock height - you cut them and they are no longer doing the job they were designed for. Also heating can change the tension built into the steel - bottom line, IMHO - do not do it. A set of drop coils new or minimally used can be gotten for under $100.

Good luck and Welcome to TRS, let us know if you have any other questions . . .

SykoRanger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
thanks for all your replies, im not sinking any more money into this ranger, at least for a while, i just want a little lowered job on it to make it look a little better, ive talked to a few guys about cutting coils and theres so many biased opinions on it, im still gonna do it, a 1 1/2 coil will be cut and im sure it will be fine, ill get it aligned right after, then im still undecided about pulling a leaf spring, i dont need to haul alot, the most i haul with it is a 4wheeler in the bed and a 4wheeler on a trailer, the way it is now that doesnt really make it squat, ill see what my dad thinks about it when were about to do it, hes a diesel mechanic and were doing it at his shop, ill keep you guys posted and i might put pics up, thanks

btw doorgunner i heard max amount ur suppose to cut coils is 1 1/2 any more is to much, u said u did 2 in

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals