• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

race head

jviss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i have a 94 ranger 2.3 5 speed, im looking into swapping in a 2.3t, or doing some work to the motor thatts in it now. i have located a complete motor and computer from a 87 turbocoupe for 600$, but for about the same price i can get a head thats been completely worked over with oversized valves, a .460 cam, titanium valve springs and a whole lot of porting. i was just wondering if it would be worth it to buy this head and upgrade some other things to go with it ie: fuel pump and injectors. im not looking to make crazy power i just want something reliable that i can run hard in autocross

ps the head i can buy has only been ran 1 or 2 races

skyy_4life

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
the engine is basicly drop it in and go. the head would go amaingly with ur engine if ur going to turbo it BUT! u will need forged pistons and maybe forged rods dependsing on how much boost ur looking for. and let me tell you a ford 2.3 at 15 psi boost is one hella ride.

jviss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
no one else has any input? i know it will be fast if i boost it but i was something that i can rev out all day long on a track and not worry about anything going wrong

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Here's my 2¢ worth...

The turbo motor would be best for power upgrade...as long as it's actually running or was recently running and there are no cracks in the head...which they tend to get for obvious reasons...

Dropping the rebuilt head onto a block that has mid to high miles on it can be a short term upgrade, but you should actually have the bottom end rebuilt if it is questionable...nothing like plopping a head on a motor and then having a piston shatter or a bearing go south...as I found out myself before the rebuild I did...

Basically, I dropped a rebuilt head onto a 2.0 block...then for some strange reason the block went south (could have been the high revs that I was now able to get with the new head)...so I replaced the bottom end with a low mileage block...then the head cracked due to an overheat...

Soooooo...the moral of the story is...if you're sure the bottom end is good and you're not sure about the Turbo engine I'd just go with the head...but if you know the whole turbo is good or recently rebuilt (which I doubt because a rebuild is worth about $1000 to $2000 on a turbo engine where I come from)...then go turbo...

My third option is to get the turbo (try to talk down the price if you don't get straight answers about the mileage) and then have it rebuilt...but that is the most expensive option...

jviss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
mark88 were you come from happens to be were i come from to. im from barrie area to.... i believe you may know my buddy carson?, i have no idea on the milage and condition of the turbo motor, i know my bottom end is good, but i would probably rebuild the bottom end with some better stuff anyways(forged rods, maybe a stroker crank). i work at a ford dealer so i get parts for dead cost so its not gonna be to pricey.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Small world...eh!

I don't know anyone by the name of Carson, but I had my head rebuilt at Ideal Auto in Barrie...can't remember the guys name as it was about two or three years ago...but I know they did a good job...it's solid...

I'd be a bit careful about the turbo in that case...unless you are planning on having the engine rebuilt anyways...that's always a good idea if you plan to do any kind of hammer down driving...and it will probably last you many, many years that way...

I had a chance to buy one from Cookstown Auto a few years back...complete with computer, but that was when I still had hopes of cranking out 140+ HP with the carbed engine (that is still possible, but it requires way more work and cash than I had at the time)...I'm not much into driving fast or impressing anyone at this point in my life...I'm just happy with a truck that runs and that I know I've built...and that I can trust...

My current setup might get 120 or more HP and that would suit me fine...but if you live in the Barrie area we should meet up sometime...I'm just about finished my course and then I will be looking for a job...but may need to move out of the area because commuting is not my idea of how to spend an extra 40 hours or so a month...

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You can go the route of cams, heads, valves, porting, etc., and still won't have the output of the turbo engie. The turbo already has forged pistons, strong rods, and the crank is solid. I don't know that you can find an aftermarket forged crank for the 2.3. The crank in the turbo will handle 400+ horsepower. The turbo engine is streetable, and economical when driven normally. It is the best bang for the buck. I have had several turbo 2.3's and have only lost one head, and that was due to overheating.

If you mod the stock engine, you will have more money invested with less power, and if you go far enough seeking power, the engine will not be streetable.:)shady

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
You can go the route of cams, heads, valves, porting, etc., and still won't have the output of the turbo engie. The turbo already has forged pistons, strong rods, and the crank is solid. I don't know that you can find an aftermarket forged crank for the 2.3. The crank in the turbo will handle 400+ horsepower. The turbo engine is streetable, and economical when driven normally. It is the best bang for the buck. I have had several turbo 2.3's and have only lost one head, and that was due to overheating.

If you mod the stock engine, you will have more money invested with less power, and if you go far enough seeking power, the engine will not be streetable.:)shady
:pray:

You've probably got more experience with these engines than I will ever have...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals