• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel issues

tylerb826

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4
Transmission
Manual
Recently my truck started running a bit wierd.
Its a 1989 Ford Ranger 2.3L 5speed 2wd.
After the truck has got up to operating temps its starts to buck and chug along and the more i press the pedal it seems like its jus decelerating as if i i took my foot off the gas. Well i can turn the truck off for a minute or 30 seconds it really doesnt matter and it will quit doin it for bout 5 min and then it will do it again. It wont do it in the morning when its very cold..only when its been running awhile. My CEL came on before this started but went away and hasnt came back on since then.

Anybody know what this could be? Its very aggrivating driving it. Especially through town when i have to cut it off every 5 min.

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check your MAF. This sounds like what happend to me when i unplugged my MAF and forgot to plug it back in. You may just need to A) plug it in or B) clean it.

tylerb826

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4
Transmission
Manual
im not sure that my truck has a MAF. Remember its an 89' 2.3L. I researched it and i didnt come across one that did. Its got the twin plugs if that helps

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
You may not have a MAF (connects to the air intake system near the air filter box usually) but you should have a MAP that sits on the firewall and has two wires and a vacuum line...go to the nearest wreching yard and pick one or two of them up (do not buy a new one) and try that...but, again, ge t two and try them both if the first one has no effect...

tylerb826

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4
Transmission
Manual
ok...i will try that and see what i come up with. I did get a new fuel filter for it as well but i havent put it on yet. I will do that tomorrow and post result

fordguy61

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
fuel

check your tempt. sensor happened to me

fordguy61

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
check your engine temp. sensor ,happened to me

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
you said the CEL come on when it started doing it? did you try to get the code?

SykoRanger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
damn mine does something likes this also, mines same as yours just an 88, i thought it was idle air control valve but replaced it with no luck along with new tps and thermostat and it still does it, youll be crusing at like 2,500 rpms then go to speed up by slowly pushing pedal and it actually seems like it slows down then i have to push it even more to get it to finally accelerate more so that MAP sensor is the one thats on top left of firewall? if so i might go to junk yard and get one to swap out, also where is the temp sensor located? thanks

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
could be a whole lot of things... throwing parts at it = bad idea. just send me the money, and we can pretend you put something else you didn't need on it :) allthough if i were gonna thorw parts at it i'd start with a fuel filter.

SykoRanger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
could be a whole lot of things... throwing parts at it = bad idea. just send me the money, and we can pretend you put something else you didn't need on it :) allthough if i were gonna thorw parts at it i'd start with a fuel filter.
fuel filter was replaced also, so was distributor,cap,rotor,wires,plugs i didnt replace these things just for the hell of it they were all shot they needed replacing, and i replaced the IACV and TPS because my truck used to idle like crap once in a bluemoon but now it usually idles fine, im just wandering if its maybe the MAP sensor or if injectors would cause this or something i dont have a CEL coming up either, i dont have a whole lot of experience with vehicles like i do dirtbikes and atvs, lol.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
ya me too! much easier to truble shoot. usually involves a can of carb cleaner and a screw driver! haha. but seriously, there are ways to test just about every sensor and syste on the truck without replacing stuff. testing will save you a boat load of money.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
MAP sensors are not expensive when you get them from the junkyard...I got two for $5 so it's definitely worth it to try that...but the symptoms on my Tempo were erratic idle and chugging then dying on the highway...

If your truck is just dying it could be a fuel pump issue...my Tempo went through three or four in-tank pumps before I got it right...and it would only do iwhen the weather was warm...but it would start right up within a few minutes of dying and go again for an indefinite period of time before doing the same thing...

tylerb826

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4
Transmission
Manual
i replaced my fuel filter and threw some injector cleaner in the tank and it quit doin it...runs fine now...the old filter was beyond its limits...the filter thats inside the casing had broke or somethin and it was moving around when you shook it...and some brown colored gas was in it too...so i has a lot of trash or dirt

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals