• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

squeak squeak squeak noise

bluebombersfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have this squeak squeak squeak noise coming from around my powersteering pump and idler puller when my truck idles. After driving a bit it usually goes away. But today when I started it up it got a bit worse and almost broke into a nonstop screeching noise.
I put in a rebuilt steering pump last year so I hope its not that, also the belt is in very good condition.
I've only been using my truck a few times a week not sure if parking it for long periods has anything to do with this.

tbirdsps

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I have this squeak squeak squeak noise coming from around my powersteering pump and idler puller when my truck idles. After driving a bit it usually goes away. But today when I started it up it got a bit worse and almost broke into a nonstop screeching noise.
I put in a rebuilt steering pump last year so I hope its not that, also the belt is in very good condition.
I've only been using my truck a few times a week not sure if parking it for long periods has anything to do with this.
It's probably the idler pully. Mine squeaks after a rain. It's just annoying at this point. If it seizes up, well that will be ugly.:icon_rofl:

ceraboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Indeed idler pulley failure on these units is not uncommon, but before you jump to that conclusion check the belt tension (ie. deflection), this can also generate a chirp.

bluebombersfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Belt tensioner is new

I guess I can try disconnecting the belt but all that would mean is it's not coming from the crank pulley but can still be any other one.
It's $20 for the idler pulley should be worth gamble I hope.

wally

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Automatic
I replaced the idler on mine first and still had a squeal. So I then changed my tensioner and still had a squeal. I had to change my belt too, which really pissed me off since it was only a month old. tensioner is like $45 if it still does it. Your belt may be bad too even if it looks good.

bluebombersfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
removed belt and idler bearing has a wobble

I think I'm pretty lucky to have caught this before it seized up, bearing had alot of play in it.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals