• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Really bizarre clutch problem

Ron_Luning

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2001 2.3L manual trans with 45K miles.

I purchased the truck 18 months ago, and have put 10K miles on it without a single problem. The clutch has been flawless so far, just like it was last night. This morning I tried it and there was no pressure until the last 1/8 of pedal travel. Needless to say, the truck didn't go anywhere.

Using the procedure in the Chilton repair manual, I tried to diagnose the problem.

-Clutch master cylinder reservoir is filled with fluid (old and nasty, but still there)
-No apparent leaks at any point along the hydraulic lines.
-Pedal moves fine, with the plastic plunger moving freely inside the cab.
-Looking through the rubber covered inspection hole inbetween the trans and the engine, everything looks fine
-I tried to bleed the system using the service manual procedure. With the cap off the reservoir, I put the clear tubing from the end of my MityVac onto the bleeder valve and opened it up. Nothing came out. It says it should bleed by gravity alone, but didn't so I pumped up the vacuum to around 20 in before anything happened. Some kind of white greasy substance came out of the bleeder. It looked like a spitball at first. After that I got a very small amount of black hydraulic fluid. Tried to bleed it with the clutch pedal both up and down. I could only get a little bit of fluid at a time, going all the way up to 25 in. of vacuum. A total of just under an ounce of fluid came out.

-The reservoir remained full the entire time, not a single change in fluid level.

-There is now no pressure felt when pushing on the clutch pedal.

What the f*ck? Even if the slave cylinder somehow went bad overnight (mild temps here in Souther California), wouldn't I still at least be able to bleed fluid through it?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals