• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil Pan Rust

poweranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I've Got A 93 Ranger 4x4 And Its Got 150,000km On It. Had It Brought In For A Check Up And Apparently There Are Huge Rust Scabs On The Oil Pan, Requiring Alot Of Labor To Install A New One. Is This Common With Rangers This Age And Experience?
The Leak As Of This Time Is Not So Bad, So I'm Gonna Wait Until I Have No Choice When The Oil Pours Out.

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's a pretty common issue on 3.0 Rangers if you live in the salt belt. Mine has some pretty serious rust, I've got about 130K miles. It's not a lot of labor to install a new one, it just takes some patience and time. You can get to all the bolts with hand tools. I'm replacing mine next oil change.

I would recommend replacing it sooner rather than later. If all your oil pours out and you lose pressure, you might seize your motor before you know it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The TIB or TTB trucks have a huge crossmember that runs under the engine and holds the pivots for the front suspension. Usually you have to take the engine out or lift it up for enough room to service the pan.

Hawk1339

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FordFord
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had the same problem with my 93/3.0. Corrective action: drained the oil, then sanded off the rust blisters from the oil pan (there were 3 spots)- cleaned it off down to bare metal. The actual leaks were a few tiny pinholes under each paint blister. Cleaned the surface with solvent, then used JB Weld "Waterweld" to seal the leaks. Worked it into the pinholes and spread it over an area slightly larger the the blistered paint. After the epoxy cured I painted it over with Rustoleum primer and topcoat. This was 2 years ago, hasn't leaked since.

http://jbweld.net/products/water.php

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The TIB or TTB trucks have a huge crossmember that runs under the engine and holds the pivots for the front suspension. Usually you have to take the engine out or lift it up for enough room to service the pan.
Forgot about that. On 98+ Rangers it's quite easy...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals