• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Drill and tap?

MusicManiac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Ok guys, so my buddy just got a 93 Nissan 4x4 pickup a few weeks ago. Over the weekend he was replacing a bad CV boot. Looks like he sheared the head off of one of the bolts that holds the front axle to the diff. What are his options on getting it out of there? My first thoughts were obviously drill and tap, but I don't want him to end up pushing some shavings into the differential. I guess what he said he did was put blue lock tight on the bolts and started them in. Then realized his torque wrench was busted. He went and replaced his torque wrench the next day and went to tighten the bolts down to spec. The loc-tite had already dried and held the threads and he sheared the head off of the first one. I told him to leave it alone and not do the rest obviously, but he wants to get back on the road soon as he needs the truck for work. Drill and tap the best option and just hope nothing gets pushed into the diff? Also, he said the other 5 were put in pretty tight with a wrench, just not torqued to spec. Think it is ok to drive so long as he doesn't engage the 4wd?

dburton07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Ugh
Transmission
Automatic
Heat it up with a torch, not too hot obviously, to melt the Loc Tite and get E-Z Outs and use those to back to bolt out, should work.

Last edited:

leumas12

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
shearing off bolt heads shouldnt be as easy as trying to loosen bolts with blue loctite... Could anything else be wrong there?

MusicManiac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
He wasn't trying to loosen them, he was trying to tighten them to spec. But, my thought was, why wouldn't his torque wrench have clicked when he got to the 63 ft-lbs that he had it set to? He did just get the same wrench that had broken on him before, but this new one worked before and after shearing that one off. I still don't know that he had the right number to torque them to though. I think the problem was he read the manual wrong or something and was trying to overtighten them. They seem like pretty small bolts to recieve the 52 to 73 ft-lbs that he said the manual said was right. And guess what, talked to him last night and asked him what he read. He double checkedc and said that was the right number for it. The book says that the bolts that hold the driveshaft to the differential should be torqued to.... I says, "Wait what? Thats not the driveshaft to diff!" Looks like he was torqueing them to the wrong number. Oops! Heat it up and EZ outs... Got it. I will let him know... Better yet, I will go help him with it some night this week. Thanks folks.

MusicManiac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Not yet. I tried to help him get it done this weekend, but he doesn't seem to mind it the way it is. He says he isn't going to put it in 4wd until he gets it out, but he doesn't seem to mind it being there.... Grrrrrr!!!! Seems like it bothers me the way it is more than it does him and it is HIS truck!!!! Oh well I guess. I warned him he could end up really messing something up. His choice now. I am happy to give him a hand getting it out, but I am not going to push it any more. Something happens it will be his fault.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals