• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What is a "DS"?

Ken M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Sorry for the dumb question, but I am just wondering what it means when I see "DS" after a model designation?

My son recently got a 2002 B3000 4x4 5-speed. It's a 2-door extended cab with the little (largely useless) jump seats along the sides. It seems to be pretty-well loaded up, as it has power windows, locks, cruise, tilt wheel, electrochromic rearview mirror w/ temp and compass displays, A/C, remote side view mirrors, rear sliding window, bedliner and bed extender. It appears to be 100% stock. Annoying is the little display below the speedo and tach that's blank; it would've been the PRDNL if the truck was an automatic.

What does the "DS" mean, and is this one?

Buddy's B4000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
The DS means Dual Sport, it is a trim package, and just by going by what you have writtin about the truck I would assume that your son's truck is a SE model and not a DS. Hope this helps.

Ken M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
So what's the trim difference between the two?

Edit: After doing some research, I'm still a little confused. His truck has black wheel well moldings, bed liner with bed extender and the flatten-tube tube step rail. It does appear his has two "packages", the Convenience Package 2 that adds the bed liner, bed extender, and leather-wrapped tilt steering wheel. It also has the Power Package, which adds the power windows, mirrors and remote keyless entry.

And for all that, I guess his isn't a DS because that is apparently what gives the truck the color-keyed bumpers and grill. Still, a damn nice truck. I kike it as much as my son.

Last edited:

flyingbrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
IIRC on a 2wd the DS gave you the 4wd suspension (torsion bars in place of coils).

Buddy's B4000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like some one sold you a B4000 SE, thinking that they were selling you a B4000 DS, the SE is by far the better truck, aside from getting power everything you also get the 4x4, I have an SE and I love it, it is a very capable little truck.

Ken M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like some one sold you a B4000 SE, thinking that they were selling you a B4000 DS, the SE is by far the better truck, aside from getting power everything you also get the 4x4, I have an SE and I love it, it is a very capable little truck.
Actually, the dealer we bought from is a Mazda dealer who sold the truck new, then took it in trade. The former owner, a nearby city cop, left lots of "evidence" in the glove box including paycheck stubs. About the only thing missing was the original window sticker.

The dealership didn't specify it to be an "SE" or a DS", it was just my curiosity to find out which one my son has, and what the differences might be. The only thing I'm not big fan of is that chrome trim around the side windows. It doesn't seem to bother my son though, I can't even get him to wash the thing!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals