• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cummins vs Powerstroke

Kylan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just wanna hear what you guys think of the powerstroke. At work we're putting twin turbos on cummins dodges and a few other mods and getting over seven hundred HP out of em without touching the bottom end

I was thinking it would be sweet to build a ford that could smoke these dodges. What do ya'll know about the powerstroke?

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 501, 7.3psd, 351c, 351w
Transmission
Manual
That parts required to dothat to a ford would be over double the cost of the parts for the dodge. The new fords that have to 6.4 powerstroke havea twin turbo stock, but these trucks are horible on fuel. My work gets 9mpg out of one that has an aluminum flad bed on it. so the truck weighs almost nothing. Also I've been told buy a few truckpullers that the v8 diesels don't hold together as well as the i6 diesels with the high horspower you are talking about. IMO you are must better off with the cummins. The cummins runs amazing.

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
I would say go for it. I am biulding a twin turo Stroke back home. The down fall is, yes it does cost more to build a Stroke that a Cummins. But, you can biuld one to eat up a 5.9. Wait, are you wondering about the 7.3, 6.0, or the 6.4? I would go with a 7.3.

93Ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93, 96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Dodges to have a good bottom end, but i prefer the powerstroke. 7.3 is a great all around diesel motor, 6.0 great top end monster, 6.4 never drove one. Cummins 5.9....never ran one either but from what i've seen they do run just as good as the powerstrokes, but powerstrokes are starting to make a comeback in the pulling scene.
Also from what i've read (on another forum) a 6 liter powerstroke with the same mods as a 5.9 cummins, it will run circles around that dodge.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
too bad we couldnt give the navistar engines to dodge and get the cummins for "our" (ford) chassis! they put the best diesel in the worst chassis and the best chassis got the international's. we had a 6.9 that depending on the setting got good milage and no power, or smoked like a train and got less than 10 mpg. this was a '86. traded it at 12,000 miles for a big bronco with a 302/4 speed. dad vowed to never have a ford with a diesel again. he almost didnt want another ford.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
the v8 diesels don't hold together as well as the i6 diesels with the high horspower you are talking about. IMO you are must better off with the cummins. The cummins runs amazing.
That is true. If the v8 diesels were of any count, the trucking industry would have stuck with them when they tried them in the early 1980's. There is a reason the semi's on the road have inline 6's in them.

P.S. You also notice that none of the International semi's on the road are running their own diesel!

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, I don't thin Navistar felt they could compete in high horsepower. They do make the DT466 which is a great motor, though too small for road tractors.

The V motor is lower profile and shorter. The disadvantages are it's got a lot more parts. The rest of the engine parameters aren't really relevant to arrangement of the cylinders except that keeping the deck height down is needed to keep the width compact. The inline motor makes a lot more sense in a vehicle that doesn't have space limitations.

I don't know why they ran both the 7.3 and the DT360 in school buses, but I avoided the 7.3 when I was looking for a bus. I hate working on V motors. You have to get under it for too many things. It has twice the parts. It has an unreliable exhaust junction and a maze of piping. You have to pull off the intake manifold and turbo and drain the coolant and who knows what else to get to the injection pump. On the inline motor everything is bolted to the side somewhere. I'm sure I wouldn't notice the difference driving them, it's just the maintence that interested me.

Then again, I don't know how the Cummins in the pickup looks but it seems likely the engine compartment is full so depending on that I might go either way on pickups.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
Navistar is developing an EPA 2010 compliant engine for class 7 and 8 tractors. not sure of the numbers on it but since caterpillar is getting out of the truck engine market and Detroit is only available to Freightliner and Westernstar that left them with only the Cummins. Paccar is building their own engine as well.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Well, I don't thin Navistar felt they could compete in high horsepower. They do make the DT466 which is a great motor, though too small for road tractors.

The V motor is lower profile and shorter. The disadvantages are it's got a lot more parts. The rest of the engine parameters aren't really relevant to arrangement of the cylinders except that keeping the deck height down is needed to keep the width compact. The inline motor makes a lot more sense in a vehicle that doesn't have space limitations.

I don't know why they ran both the 7.3 and the DT360 in school buses, but I avoided the 7.3 when I was looking for a bus. I hate working on V motors. You have to get under it for too many things. It has twice the parts. It has an unreliable exhaust junction and a maze of piping. You have to pull off the intake manifold and turbo and drain the coolant and who knows what else to get to the injection pump. On the inline motor everything is bolted to the side somewhere. I'm sure I wouldn't notice the difference driving them, it's just the maintence that interested me.

Then again, I don't know how the Cummins in the pickup looks but it seems likely the engine compartment is full so depending on that I might go either way on pickups.
+1.
The cummins, at least in the pre-03 trucks have a lot more room to work on than the PSD.
IMHO, compared to the 6BT the PSD's are a POS.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am looking forward to see what Ford's new in house diesel will be like. I was optimistic about the 6.4 but after the big injector recall I can't help but think "here we go again"

Kind of wonder if it isn't a scheme to stall for a year or two and then snatch up Cummins after Dodge folds...

igiveup

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello

I was told years ago that ford owned the cummins motor but could not use any thing from it for there PSD. So if thats true then when they fail Ford could use them in there trucks.

igiveup

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
Ford no longer owns ANY of Cummins.

Even the CR engines in the 03+ have more room around them that the PSD's. Seen under the hood? They pretty much look the same as their earlier 24V cousins.

Kylan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Alright so maybe I should put a Cummins in a Superduty. I hate the new dodge body styles, Mopar = plastic it seems now. This ain't something I'd do right now but I'm thinkin someday....

Check out my works drag truck, it ran a 10.34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvyOew9llFg

Chappy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
when it comes to diesel in passenger trucks, it not exactly a good idea for the general public, diesels are built to work . . . and work hard. most people who own a diesel own one cause it makes them look cool. but they are tearing up those engines. now if your buying it for a work truck where it will be pulling loads most of the time, you will get many miles of hastle free operation. now as far as cummins v. flowerjoke . . . . i think i already gave that away. i have worked on all of them, and the easiest and strongest thus-far has been the 5.9 cummins 6BT. then its the ISB and then the internationals . . . then of course you have your dirtymax, which i wont get into that . . . damn jap junk!!! sorry rambling. . . . anywho, also it was mentioned that ford no longer owns any of cummins . . . this is false . . . they have about 5 - 10% stock in cummins. as for the new ford produced diesel, all i know is, its called the scorpian its a 6.7 commonrail w/ piezo electric injection. . . i would def. go and put a 6bt in a 97 3/4 or 1 ton ford. best combo right there.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals