• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Popular plug for 97 2.3?

Caulk04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Any suggestions on what plugs I should go with? Any that I should stay away from at least? These appear to be a PITA to change, so I'd like to do it only once.

Thanks!

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Use autolites or motorcraft.

The XP Iridiums are OE and in my opinion worth the $6 a piece. They keep their proper gap alot longer.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
would you recommend the xp iridiums in a 92 ranger? i just got mine and am going thru doing all the maintenance at once so i know shell be sound, fig i would ask since im seeing plug questions. i know not to use anything other than motorcraft or autolite as i also own a blown 93 3.0 4wd ranger. it took ap764 autolite platinums at .044 gap.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
i got soem from ford, the OE plugs are platinum not irridium.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
the platinums are an iridium plug?

Last edited:

98mazdaman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Our 94 supercab 4cyl 5 spd man gained noticably more power after replacing original plugs and wires with Bosch plugs and wires after 150k.

Last edited:

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Our 94 supercab 4cyl 5 spd man gained noticably more power after replacing original plugs and wires with Bosch plugs and wires after 150k.
i dont recommend bosch or champion, they suck imo, i swear by ngk. there great plugs

98mazdaman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
49k on the bosch's, no problems

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
champion plugs belong in 6:1 compression lawnmowers. an ex250 came into the shop, wouldnt run. compression ratio is 9:1 in this engine btw, engine had no compression. pulled the plugs and the guy said he just changed the plugs, low and behold champion plugs didnt want to buy the recommended ngk for cost reasons. well the reason he had no compression is cuz the champion plugs under the higher compression chipped the porcelain and ate up his rings. in an attempt to save 5 bux he spent over 500 to have the top end rebuilt, i wont put champion in anything other than a lawnmower or whatever recommends this plug, generally a low compression boat engine. we went back ngk and no more problems. bosch standard plugs and single electrode platinums are fine, the multi tip plugs will cause ignition timing problems since the spark is thrown all over the place from one electrode to the next. i went back autolite standard copper core (motorcraft plug) in my trk this time, other than a rich issue and exhaust leak from hell i have no problems from them.

98mazdaman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i'm curious about the e3 plugs.

MikeInIdaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I thought the Autiolite XP's are copper with an iridium center electrode. Other plugs use the iridium/platinum combo, but not the XP's.

I used AC Delco professional Iridiums (single ground) on the Chevy and like them so far. I will be changing plugs in the b2300 soon and will likely use the Autolite XP iridiums. As stated previously, stay away from plugs with multiple electrodes as they may cause arcing of the spark. Also, it is a good idea to stick with the same manufacturer of spark plugs your car came with, as the motor was designed using them. That's why I went with AC Delco's for the Chevy, will use autolites/motorcrafts for the Mazda, etc.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
after chasing a problem caused by bosch plugs for over a year, i very highly reccommend not using them! they are garbage.

MikeInIdaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I can't say that I have any experience with Bosch spark plugs. I have, however heard of them causing issues on RBv's (from people on this forum). One thing I DO know, they make damn fine injectors, glow plugs, alternators and mechanical injection pumps for diesel VWs!

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
bosch makes excellent products dont get me wrong, but the multielectrode plugs of any make (splitfire etc) cause ignition timing problems in stock ignitions cuz the spark is going all over the place, not one consistent area. had a few bikes come in the shop (and a friend of mines chevy) w/ the plugs installed, wouldnt run. put the standard plugs back in would run fine, but every time we pulled a plug and watched it fire (which it did) it jumped from one electrode to the next and even shorted itself between two outer electrodes a few times, causing such a mis that it wouldnt even pop. another ignition issue ive run into is running IRIDIUM tipped plugs in ignitions that dont call for it. iridium is very resistent to corrosion of the tip, but is also a hellacious resistor to spark, unless your ignition is cranking some volts (which ford does not) its not recommended to run these. the same buddy w/ the same camaro put these in thinking it would help, the car did run w/ them. however, 3 months later he had to change the computer, and smoked 3 coilpacks. when the new computer was installed he noticed that after running 10 miles you couldnt touch the damn thing, took it to the shop and they said the plugs were pulling so much voltage throughout the system it caused voltage drop and shorted the system. we installed the recommended plugs again and no more problems. i asked how do you run these plugs they basically said upgrade your ignition to around 45k volts and youll run fine otherwise youll run into these problems. just food for thought from some expensive experience talking.

skyy_4life

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
the spark does not go "all over the place" the plugs go from outter to inner electrode and thats it. witch ever outter electrode is close will fire, the multi point plugs make no difference than a single electrode plug....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals