• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Horrible Smell comming from Engine Compartment

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This may sound strange, but for the past month, there has been a horrible smell comming from the engine compartment. The only way i can describe it is rotting animal and cat urine. i have checked and checked and have not found the source of this smell. The smell has become worse within the past 3 days and I only smell it when the car has heated up. Could this be some sort of fluid burning or what?

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A friend of mine had mice nest inside his intake tube once, if that happened and they died in there that might explain it....

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thats not were the smell is comming from. I just checked and no rats.

kossdust

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
could be neighbors cat got up beside the motor one cold night and never made it. I would check all around and maybe wash it to see if maybe that helps

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
could be neighbors cat got up beside the motor one cold night and never made it.
LOL! I hate that cat... sounds like a child being beaten when it meows, and it never shuts up. Anyways, I wash my truck maybe once every 1-1/2 weeks and i have looked everywere and have not found anything dead. Its really agrivating and thats why i think i may be burning something.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Sounds like a Tomcat (they sound like crying babies)...and they spray to mark their territory and is smells pretty rank...

They usually crawl up and sleep on a warm motor, and can urinate or spray various parts to keep other cats away...you will need to use some strong soap to wash the engine bay and anything plastic...

Other than that, I don't think something burning would last long since electrical burns usually wipe out components and belt burns usually indicate a stuck belt that will fly off or otherwise snap within a few days of burning...you might have a shroud or something rubbing on the timing belt or the fan shroud hitting the fan...but you would hear that with the hood open (engine running, of course)...

You can actually buy pet sprays that help mask the odor, but it will come back...so maybe some strong soap, a scrub brush, and some elbow grease are in order...

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
GAH! STUPID CATS! i guess ill try that tommorow and ill report the results. Any more help would be apreciated.

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
But why would it only smell once the engine warms up? i went outside and smelled it and it does not have a slight odor.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Try taking your air box apart and look under the filter for varmints...and if you don't find any there check the tube into the TB...if nothing there...I have no idea where it would be coming from...unless there is a critter on your muffler or a cat on a hot tin cat...

fastbluetruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1991
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
LOL< quit farting in your truck while driving with the windows up, they make this stuff called BEANO and although i have never used it i have heard it works.

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
HAHA! i dont think my farts smell like cat pee, but thank you for the advice.:D

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I would think that you use well water in your radiator and you have an overheating problem or a head gasket problem. The other thing could be whatever fluid you filled recently spilt on the exhaust header. If it smells like rotten eggs then your battery is overcharged and fixing to explode.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals