• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 2.3L bogging on acceleration

SkiLLzWheeLz

Reaction score
94 2.3L --- 8 plugs --- coil packs

Under WOT it will backfire and bog down. Under normal gas it will still bog. Driving down the road it will bog unless I give it just a tiny bit of gas (enough to barely accelerate). Idles fine it seems but will still backfire most of the time if given extra gas. IT DOES not do this all the time, but day by day it seems to do it more often. If I turn the truck off and restart most of the time it will get me back up to speed but then starts screwing up again. I dont have a check engine light BULB and all I have is a digital voltmeter to try and read codes....not having much luck. I hooked it up and I could see the volts jumping but not sure how to read it exactly. I do know how to read codes on the CEL when flashing.

Changed so far........fuel filter today...man it was nasty...maybe due to SeaFoam last night and just being old. Spark plugs changed. Changed Timing belt. I have coil packs...no dizzy. I had the problem before these were changed.....just got a little worse lately

Sorry for the long post but I want to give as much info as I can. Thanks!

Going outside right now to test plug wires.

Last edited:

SkiLLzWheeLz

Reaction score
checked the plug wires on the coil packs.....both front and rear coil packs....wires on right side of both are not firing...left side firing fine..... Swapped coilpack out with a few off a 92 ranger 2.3(not sure if good or not).....same problem.....no spark to the wire...help! Think its possible that both coilpacks went out and maybe, just maybe, the two I got off the other ranger are bad on the same side?

It just doesnt make since......sometimes it runs fine-ish....sometimes it doesnt.....coilpacks would probably go bad and stay bad......i need some answers fellas!

Last edited:

outomyelement

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
When you tested the plug wires, did you test the ohm-resistance? Do you have continuance? It sounds like you're getting power to the pack, so it doesn't sound like an issue there. If the coilpacks seem to work ok -- sounds like the plug wires...

Anyone else?

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
maybe the ICM taking a dump on you. especially since it did the same exact thing with a different coil pack. i wouldn't suspect the coild packs. try swapping plug wires and plugs with the side that is firing and see if the problem follows the wires or the plugs.

SkiLLzWheeLz

Reaction score
I swapped the ICM off the other ranger I had.....swapped around a coil pack or two and have fire on all cylinders and plugs now.

Drove it down the road......still bogging down and sputtering. Same problem....any ideas?

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
hard to guess at something like that with so little information. try cleaning battery terminals/cables and grounds. also if you have a guage at your dispoale, it would be helpful to take some fuel pressure readings at the rail.

SkiLLzWheeLz

Reaction score
If you read everything....i did give a lot of info....you are right about the fuel pressure though I do need to check it. Since my fuel filter was so nasty I was thinking maybe the injectors could be a little clogged, I just dont wanna tear everything apart unless needed.

Would an o2 sensor cause this? I have had alot of cars/trucks but never had one go bad and be REAL noticeable.

I just put a bulb in my check engine light.....PO didnt have one there(prob got tired of seeing it lit up haha)....bout to go outside now and check codes....thanks Tech Library! :)

SkiLLzWheeLz

Reaction score
not very easy reading these codes.....not sure exactly what Im coming up with....I know how to read the flashes but there are so many!

DangeRanger302

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i don't think so guys. if it runs fine until you add gas, what about air? maybe a new air filter? or your' throttle plate is getting stuck? electrical problems will happen like that, but it's pretty rare. check all the dumb things before spending a lot of money on expensive stuff.

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just read the flashes as single numbers rather than trying to group them into 3's. Then, once you've read everything, group them together to figure out what you have. Much easier.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
yes, there is alot of information about what the symptoms are, but not so much information on what you've checked or have not checked. a fuel pressure reading would be helpful. that way you could dig deeper or rule it out. i doubt an air filter would cause problems like you're having, unless you've got somthing stuck in the tube leading to the air box or something under the filter that got sucked up. Also an 02 is pretty doubtful. sounds like a problem with fuel or ignition. tests are the only way to rule out either one. also could be a throttle position sensor going south on you. if you search through the forums there are a few posts with some really good info on the TPS.

have you checked for vaccum leaks? also the backfiring is kind of strange. i had a very similar problem with my 94 2.3 with it back firing and 'bucking' falling on it's face ECT. It turned out to be a bad set of plugs. only motorcraft plugs for me from now on. If you've got a set of bosch plugs in i HIGHLY reccommend taking them out and installing factory equiptment.

SkiLLzWheeLz

Reaction score
I have some autolite plugs in there right now....brand new. Put em on about a week ago and gapped them. I work on and buy/resell cars for a living.

So last night I disconnected the battery, woke up this morning and hooked it back up. Cleared all the codes using the CEL method......and voila! Took it down the road 5 miles after letting it idle 10-15 minutes and I can floor it now with no sputtering, bogging, or backfiring....wooooohoooo! I have a bulb in my CEL now and no codes came up after my trip. So hopefully the code doesnt come back and start screwing up again. Im going to drive to town later....about 30 miles or so...hope all goes well.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
sounds like an easy fix :D now at least when the CEL comes on you'll know and you can have a look. good luck!

SkiLLzWheeLz

Reaction score
Drove it to town and back tonight. It did real good but still wants to bog down if I give it WOT under load...after getting warm....about to search around on here for clues.....any ideas? Maybe plug wires....they look pretty new though

Last edited:

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
wait for the code to come back and see. im leaning towards ignition too. keep us informed :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals