• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Acceleration issue

blisted

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I am having some acceleration issue which is inconsistent.
My truck was stolen and recovered, after two years sitting still, I got it back and running.

I've replaced my fuel filter and fuel pump about 200 and 1000 miles ago respectively. On cold days (40 and below) the vehicle seems fine with acceleration until it gets hot then it exhibits the same issue. Hotter days (50+) its almost immediate. Today when hitting the gas it exhibited a similar problem as when my fuel filter failed and gas couldnt flow properly, couldn't go over 15 before it dropped off.

The basic gist of the issue is when pushing the pedal down to speed up, the truck responds as though I've taken my foot off the pedal and decelerates. There is some limit to which I can press down before it reacts this way, but this limit varys.

I do have one code,1443, which I dont believe has any relation to this issue in particular.

My catalyst monitor has not cycled after 200/250 miles so far. Indicator perhaps?

Also it appears my thermostat is bad which is another issue to address, but not sure it would affect my acceleration like this.

Any instant identifiers as to what this could be?

kossdust

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
fix the code then fix the thermostat

it can be hard to track problems down when other things are not working. They could be problems that the computer is compensating for the problems.

DangeRanger302

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
true that. i had a friend that used to say; "an engine needs three things to run. fuel, air, and compression. work through these things, by isolating areas. gas is good, compression is good, work through ignition. just try to rule out as many things as you can, and work from there.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Sounds like a problem I had with my Tempo...on really hot days it would die off unexpectedly....and then start up and run like a champ for a while...when it got to the point where it would do it more often I took it to Ford cause it was still under warranty...turned out to be the fuel pump in the tank...

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
did you put the fuel filter in backwards possibly?

blisted

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Fuel filter is in correctly for sure =). I've had a fram one fail on me prior on my trip from FL->DC and have gone through 3 filters (Fram->Autozone Cheapie->Purolater) assuming this was an issue with the filter itself.

Attempted to work on the 1443 issue by cleaning out the purge flow sensor with some electrical cleaner, so far to no avail but that's to be seen. Going to try and replace the hosing to the canister and sensors for that to see if that alleviates anything.

Still experienced the lack of throttle response on the way home however.

While under the hood was trying to spray around and find any vacuum leaks, but nothing revealed itself.

blisted

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Update 3/31/09:
Well I cleaned and re-oiled the K&N filter and cleaned the MAF sensor, and surprisingly it seems the hesitation on acceleration has ceased (so far at least). My thought is that when I accelerated past a certain point, the engine would not get enough air and particulates would bypass my filter, interfering with the MAF and screw up my acceleration after slowing down. Once I turned off the engine and re-started the MAF would burn off any accumulated particulates and seem normal till the next acceleration.

Seem logical/possible/reasonable?

Bill G

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 2.8
Transmission
Manual
Update 3/31/09:
Well I cleaned and re-oiled the K&N filter and cleaned the MAF sensor, and surprisingly it seems the hesitation on acceleration has ceased (so far at least). My thought is that when I accelerated past a certain point, the engine would not get enough air and particulates would bypass my filter, interfering with the MAF and screw up my acceleration after slowing down. Once I turned off the engine and re-started the MAF would burn off any accumulated particulates and seem normal till the next acceleration.

Seem logical/possible/reasonable?
You probably over oiled the K&N filter and got the MAF dirty. You "fixed it" by cleaning off your sensor.

blisted

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
You probably over oiled the K&N filter and got the MAF dirty. You "fixed it" by cleaning off your sensor.
This was the first cleaning/re-oiling I've done and it fixed the problem, prior it was K&N straight form the box. So cleaning/re-oiling fixed me in this case. But if it pops up again I am carrying the MAF cleaner with me to test this. So far ~3 weeks with no issues.

blisted

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Update 5/26:

Replaced thermostat.
In process of fixing code, ordered new Purge Valve and should be in tomorrow. Replaced purge valve hoses. Took truck for a 150 mile drive and noticed acceleration issue occurs only after the vehicle has been running for while and only at higher rpms/speeds. Starting to suspect Catalytic converter is shot, exhaust output seems the same during idle idle and higher rpms.

Once I clear the 1443 dtc will probably replace cat.

mrcarcrazy

Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Read a test where you measure the backpressure from front o2 sensor hole with compression tester...both @ Idle and 2-3k constant, and a brief WOT ....it should sit on 0 until maybe a small increase at beginning of WOT.

To rule out a big thing you've missed follow steps below
step 1 - remove K&N
step 2 - clean MAF
step 3 - place one of those silly paper air filters in truck...
step 4 trash K&N

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I could certainly see with having a bad T'stat making it run rich, clogging the Cat.

It's nice that the OP updated his thread.

The only issue I ever had with a K&N was having to clean the IAC periodically. I've only cleaned my MAF once and it made no difference (but I wasn't having any issue, I simply cleaned it during PM). I did go back to paper on my Ranger and threw the K&N on the daughter's Explorer, since I'd be the only stiff checking it over. I know noone is ever gonna replace the air filter except me, when she visits / lives here.

blisted

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Read a test where you measure the backpressure from front o2 sensor hole with compression tester...both @ Idle and 2-3k constant, and a brief WOT ....it should sit on 0 until maybe a small increase at beginning of WOT.

To rule out a big thing you've missed follow steps below
step 1 - remove K&N
step 2 - clean MAF
step 3 - place one of those silly paper air filters in truck...
step 4 trash K&N
Honestly I would and have spent lots of minutes scoping out a new paper one in the air filter aisle. But it keeps coming up in my mind, "you paid 50 bucks for this damn thing, dont trash it"....

Maybe once I get her back up to a non crippled state I will though..

blisted

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Update 5/28:
Replaced purge valve - did not clear 1443. Took the solenoid valve home and cleaned with electronic cleaner to see if that frees up this.

Forgot to mention I replaced ECT with thermostat also.

This damn code has driven me crazy

blisted

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Update 6/17/09:
Replaced Purge Control Valve and Thermistor.. (The two inline items from carbon canister) in hopes of clearing 1443.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals