• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coolant Issues

bcurrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, I'm hoping you can help.

I have a 97 Ranger Splash 4 cylinder. About 2-3 years ago, it started leaking coolant in small amounts. I added the "stop a leak" stuff to it. It continued, so I took it in and the radiator had a leak. They replaced it and everything has been great since.

A couple months back I was filling the refilling the washer fluid and noticed that the coolant reservoir was empty. I filled it back to the line. Over the past couple of months I've kept my eye on it and it's slowly gone back down. The "stop a seal" stuff that I put in the reservoir turns the antifreeze to a dirty looking copper color. Today I took off the cap to the radiator and it was the perfect neon green color. Looked as if I had poured it yesterday. Any ideas what is causing the leak or how I can go about finding it? I went to Autozone and Advance to buy the dye to run through it and they looked at me like I was an idiot. One guy told me to just use FOOD COLORING!?!?!?!

The truck always stays at the same temp. It's never run hot. I never smell anti-freeze. I've never found spots on the ground.

Back about a month ago, I did have problems with it idling down considerably when it was about 20 degrees outside. Turning the heat on high made the problem worse. I bought a new battery and had the starter, alternator and everything checked and it all came back fine. That issue has since gone away with the warmer temps.

Any chance this is related to the coolant issue? Suggestions as to where I should start? I was going to have the radiator flushed in a couple weeks, but have thought about waiting till I figure this out. I'm wondering if the resevoir isn't leaking somewhere since the "dirty" colored anti-freeze doesn't appear to be in the radiator.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Anything's gotta be better than the food coloring test. :)

Thanks!

skyy_4life

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
well if u happen to find any oil in ur coolant then it could be seaping into the cylinders through a blown head gasket. check ur coolant for oil traces.

bcurrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the response.

I don't know a whole lot about cars. How would I check the coolant for oil?

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sounds like you might need a water pump, they start leaking over time, then will let go, check around you water pump for any signs of collant. if you find its wet, then change your water pump. dave

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
There is a little hole on the water pump (on mine, anyways) and it usually doesn't leak because it is behind a seal...but if you see coolant coming out of that hole then the seal is damaged and it's time to change the pump...

Problem is, they leak so little sometimes that you can't actually see it leaking...but if you wrap a white rag around the shaft behind the belt and secure it with tape, you will see it gradually soaking into the rag...

Other than that...the head gasket is possible...and when you change your oil you will see the coolant floating in the oil because they do not mix...

bcurrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the responses. I'll check the water pump. I had it replaced a couple years ago when they replaced the radiator and belts. Hopefully it's still ok, but I'll check it out.

Thanks again!

bcurrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
On additional piece of info

On my drive into work today, I turned the heater on full blast for a couple minutes. About every 20-30 seconds, I'd hear a click and the engine would die down a bit. Very simliar to how the AC does when it is running low on coolant.

Any chance it's the Tstat?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
The heater fan does not usually put that much of a drain on the system that you can feel or hear the engine drop in RPMS...sounds more like your A/C is kicking in or you have a problem with the condenser on the A/C...

My sister-in-law recently had a problem with her car...it would not start...she had the battery, starter and a few other things replaced before they found out what the real problem was...the A/C pump had seized and because it was on the same belt as a few other things, the car simply wouldn't turn over...and the belt eventually snapped due to the pulley not turning...

Does your truck have A/C?

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
your a/c pump may be locking up. i had this problem on a 2003 pt cruiser. yes even when the heat was on, the a/c pump does cycle occasionally to keep from seizing up, well the pt loser would turn on and almost stall the car. replaced the ac pump and problem solved. hope this helps

bcurrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yea, the truck has an A/C. So it sounds like I have 2 issues - an A/C and coolant one. Thanks guys!

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
since the radiador stays full and the overflow tank is getting empty i'd check the hose that goes between them or the resivoir itself. if it's just barely dripping you'll probably never see it or smell it.

DangeRanger302

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
your coolant runs through your air conditioning unit, and what i think happened, is that a seal in the air conditioning unit is done for, and coolant is leaking into the air conditioning unit.

i am 90% positive that this is at least part of the problem. check it out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals