• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

wiring issues 87 2.0 to 2.3 turbo

whitey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 f250 4 doo
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 87 Ranger that was a 2.0. I am changing to a 88 thunderbird 2.3 turbo. I have all of the sensors hooked up have the exhaust and fuel pump working. the problem is it will run if I spray carb cleaner in and it will run. the injectors have power to them. what have I missed on wiring this thing in? Also how does it fire the injectores is it with the computer or with the distributor? Has anyone done this and what wires do I need to splice and/ or put power to or ground?

Thanks again...

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Which wiring harness are you using, stock or t-bird?
Which computer are you using?

It is easiest to use the stock wiring harness and re-pin the connector to match the t-bird. You will have to add a couple of wires, but no biggie. I matched the wiring diagrams using the Chiltons wiring diagrams for both the Ranger and the t-bird.

The t-bird is a two piece harness, and a little harder to adapt.:)shady

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The 2.0 is carbed so that's a no-go.

Just use the t-bird harness and strip out what you don't need. There will be a lot you won't need. Just take your time and do it right, if you don't it'll bite you in the butt.

Do you know for a fact that the injectors are firing, or is there just power to them?
The signal may not be getting to them.

whitey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 f250 4 doo
Transmission
Automatic
That would be correct it is or was carb. I need to know what makes the injectors fire and how to test them.I just have power to them... Thanks again..

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
they are low impedance injectors (peak and hold) so they will recieve a quick high voltage signal and then the voltage will drop down.

they are wired in batch fire, so there should be two injector outputs from the ecu. if you tap into one of those wires, you should see a pulsing voltage. trace the wires and just make sure they are going to the right ECU pin and try to make sure they are in good condition.

whitey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 f250 4 doo
Transmission
Automatic
so I need to get a injector tester or noid light.I am useing every stitch of wiring from the turbo coupe. thanks again....

whitey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 f250 4 doo
Transmission
Automatic
Ok I got a injector tester andt hey are not firing . what wires do I need to connect or ground or splice to gether. I realy need you guys help.... Does any one have pics of this . I am using the tc wiring harnes and computer. Thanks again...

whitey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 f250 4 doo
Transmission
Automatic
I still need help with wireing up the 87 2.0 ranger. I would like to know what wires are need to get this thing running ? I am useing the 2.3 TC engine and wiring I have every thing done exept the Inj. working, and they have voltage to them just not pulsing or grounded . At this point I really don't know....:icon_confused::dunno:

whitey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 f250 4 doo
Transmission
Automatic
I have the 87 ranger with TC wiring wired up and running now. The injector harnes need to be grounded. I now have a new problem the turbo will not spool up. what is the problem? Can a O2 sensor keep it from spooling up?

Last edited:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
The turbo turns from the exhuast gases. Is the turbo locked up/seized? Is it getting oil? Just quick things to check.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals