• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Piecing lift together

VBredneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm trying to gather some information and/or opinions about what the pros and cons would be of piecing a lift together instead of just buying a straight up kit.

I've got a 97 B4000 extended cab and I want to go up as high as I can without getting that vibration in my driveshaft so I was planning on 4-5 inches but I've got that 4.0L V6 which makes me fairly heavy in the front. What I was thinking of doin' was gettin' a front bracket kit from Superlift or a RC or TC 4 inch lift and using 6 inch SJ coils and extended radius arms but I don't know if the coils for a six inch lift will put too much strain on brackets that are set up for a four inch lift. I figured the 6 inch coils with a 4.0L V6 and a lift designed for 4-5 inches would actually put me closer to a true 4 inches of lift than I would if I used coils for a 4 inches lift.

The truck's a 2WD so I don't plan on doing a whole lot of 'wheeling but I live on the Outer Banks (VB-born though) and if I can figure a way to weigh my rear end down enough I do wanna get it out there on that beach occassionally.

Any thoughts/ideas or "just go buy a SJ lift"-s are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
You'll be fine using 6" coils with the 4" lift. It's quite common and allows more ground clearance than using the 6" holes on the brackets.

-andrew

VBredneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Cool, thanks. I thought I had read that somewhere on here at some point I just couldn't find it. Perciate it.

JFA_Spyderman

Law Enforcement
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Yo,
From what i have read, Skyjacker makes the strongest parts. And actually they offer 4 different 6" lift kits depending on your plans for wheeling and budget. All with 6" coils, some with radius arm drop brackets, some with new arms. Some with blocks, some with leaves too.

VBredneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I saw those different kits on their new and "improved" site. I don't really want a six inch lift, just the six inch coils. And I'm a cheap bastard so that's why I was thinking of just getting the RC 4 inch kit and then picking up a pair of SJ 6 inch coils. I figured since I won't be doing a whole lot of crazy wheeling I'm less inclined to worry about getting the highest quality brackets possible. Stupid, I know, but like I said, cheap bastard.

JFA_Spyderman

Law Enforcement
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Yo,
As i understand it, those 6" Skyjacker coils are going to give you 6" of lift regardless of which hole or mounting bracket you use. If you are only looking for a 4" lift, i would go with a Skyjacker or James Duff kit. Even though you dont plan on a lot of wheeling, it's nice to know you could if you wanted.:D

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
No, the 6" SJ coils only come up to about 4.5" lift on a big Supercab V6 truck (SJ really should spec different (longer) coils for the SC trucks, but they don't).

I don't see you saving much (if anything) piecing together a lift though (unless you are getting used brackets or something).
I'd just get the SJ Class II 6" 2WD kit, and just mount the axle in the upper (4") bracket holes.

JFA_Spyderman

Law Enforcement
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Yo,
Ohh i see. For some reason i thought they spec'd them out with just the 4.0 supercab in mind.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
It seems like they must've originally prototyped their lift on a 4cyl std cab or something, as that (or a BII) is the only vehicle that seems to get close to a true 6" lift without having to use a spacer under the coil. If anything, the SJ coils are slightly flexier than most other TTB coils though.

VBredneck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, I appreciate the input.

Originally I was gonna get my hands on some used brackets; one of those I know a guy who knows a guy type things. But I actually talked to the guy I'd be getting them from today and he was some crazy, drunk, don't-give-a-f#*k 'necks so...I don't trust him much and, needless to say I won't be picking up those brackets.

I guess the Class II SJ is my best bet, maybe with some coils for an F150. My truck needs some stiffening-up anyhow.

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals