• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 explorer 5.0 a good choice?

joemohio

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Im looking at a 97 explorer 5.0 to possibly swap in my 93 ranger 4x4, Im just tired of that 3.0 pig. I found the engine , trans and transfercase. Im wondering If im going to run into big problems since the 5.0 is out of an auto. By the way it is a distributorless engine. I wasnt planning on running the auto trans, just the engine. I was going to look for a stick trans and t case out of a 92 f150.

The reason that I ask about this engine is because I dont see much mention of it on here, or maybe im not looking in the right place for the info.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
That is the problem with the explorer stuff. If you want a stick you will find problems. A explorer computer won't like the fact you swapped a manual in and a F-150 computer won't run a DIS 302. The engine mounts won't work since the explorer is SLA and your Ranger is TTB. If you are going to use the Explorer as a donor it is best to use all the stuff. Really the only thing you can change is if you don't want the AWD t-case, the Expedition t-case will swap in. The F-150 will have the M5OD R2, some people complain about the shifer location of the pre-97 ones, no biggie just modify the shifter. If you want less mods to the tran get a one from a post 97 6 cyl F-150, the shift tower is moved back. A 92 t-case will be a BW 1356, a little big for the Ranger frame; you will be cutting it. All the fullsize cases interchage, use an older one. The NP 205 or 208 will fit with no cutting to the frame.

Matt

joemohio

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the info.
This is a bit agrivating trying to figure out what works with what. I did a v8 swap in my 2wd s10, a 3.4 v6 swap in my 01 cavalier , they were no where near this complicated to find out which parts to pick. Then again this is my first attempt to swap any 4wd so maybe its to be expected.
So what im hearing is not to mess with the explorer stuff. I see after measuring the 92 f150 t case that the frame rail would need to be notched, I dont like that Idea.
So i need to find an engine that either didnt have electronic shift or was a stick. Right?
Maybe Ill go looking in some other threads to see what I should be looking to use.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Correct with the trans stuff. You either need to use a computer that didn't have an electronic controlled transmission or was from a stick. What are you looking to use. I've done enough of these I know what fits and where to get it. Any 302 will fit, so that's not a problem. Most any 4 or 5 speed manual will fit with little problems. A body lift helps. The only transmission that won't fit nicely is the heavy duty ZF 5 speed. All the automatics fit. For a t-case you can either use an adapter for the stock one or use a fullsize one. The older cast iron NP 205 will fit with not problem at all, strong as hell but heavy. The aluminum case NP 208 is a little tigher fit. It has a few tabs that need cut off and depending on engine offset you may need to shave 1/4 or so from the lower part of the frame rail, nothing major. Those are the most popular two you will find in the junkyards. You may come across a Dana 20 from the 66-77 bronco. Unless you are using a C4 from the bronco stay away from it because it will cost you about a grand in parts to use it, good t-case though.

Matt

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals