• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Drive Shaft Is Too Long

Ranger83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I just bolted up my new tranny to the block. My drive shaft is extendable. I've made it as short as I can but it is too long. There is a nut on top of the differential where the drive shaft bolts to it with 4 bolts. This bolt is what is catching my drive shaft. I only need about a centimeter more room to get it on. I figure there is 3 ways to do this.

1. Cut and weld a shorter shaft
2. Grind down the nut a little bit
3. Jack up the rear end and pull the entire axle back

I do not have access to a welder. If anyone has any ideas to make this work. Please let me know. My truck is so close to moving again and I know it misses the road.

Also let me know if pictures would be helpful

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
What tranny did you swap in? If you can't get it to bolt up now, you may have to either shorten your current shaft, or get another from the junk yard.

I would avoid options 2 and 3, it's going to bind when the suspension compresses.

Last edited:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
2 and 3 are not options.

your driveshaft isnt "extendable". it has a slip yoke on it which allows it to stretch and compress as the suspension cycles. if you jam the shaft on there with it fully compressed, the first time you hit a bump, you will damage something (t-case, differential, or the shaft itself).

you need to either find the proper length shaft from a stock pickup (there are lots of options since there were many different wheelbases and transmissions used in these trucks), or have your current shaft modified at a shop (this isnt something the average home mechanic is equipped for as the driveline needs to be perfectly centered and balanced after its shortened).

Ranger83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the info. The tranny is from an '89 Lincoln Town car.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals