• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ranger 5 speed swap

Glenn4357

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi guys and gals, gotta' question. Will a 87' ranger 5 speed transmission fit my 89 ranger without too much modification? I know the driveshaft yoke is bigger on the 89' and the bellhousing is integral. Basically, I need to know what I will need to do this swap....shifter?....clutch cylinder? I guess I need to mention that it is a 2.3L and so is the 87' tranny. If anyone has made this swap, please let me know what you had to do. Thanks, Glenn4357:c-n:

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
It'll bolt up. If you are going from auto to manual grab all the clutch hydrallics. Other than that you should be ok....might want to grab the drive shaft. Just check the way they connect.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
You'll have to put a '87 hydraulic line on a 89-92 Clutch Master cylinder, and use 89+ pedals. First gen pedals won't bolt into a second gen, and a first gen master cylinder will not bolt to a second gen firewall.

Really, you're just better off finding the right transmission imho.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
not to mention if its an 87 5speed its likely an fm145 which is a bastard transmission, stay away from it for a swap....

Glenn4357

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the help guys. I guess what I really wanted to know is, will the 87' tranny fit the 89'. From the looks of the replies, it will fit. Looks like I will have to change the driveshaft. One more question...will the clutch cylinder in the 89' bellhousing fit the 87 tranny or do I have to use the 87'? Oh yeah, are the shifters interchangeble? Thanks again, Glenn4357.:c-n:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals