• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

up-grade? which ones fit?

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 86' extended cab, everything original, including the radio. analog dial am/fm...nothing fancy.

what newer digital tuning factory radio's would fit without changing adaptor plates and changing wiring or hacking up the dash to make something fit/work?

I don't need some amp banging away or speakers that take up the whole back end....just a better up grade unit...basic and simple. you know Old school :cool:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just got the smaller sized Pioneer CD player for $150 and wired it in. The stock radio doesn't have any plugs so you have to do some cutting. An adapter kit mounted it in and it looks great. I had to modify the speaker grilles in the dash to fit 4" speakers by cutting a hole for the speakers to sit down in the grilles and four holes to mount them on top of the stock grilles.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
I just got the smaller sized Pioneer CD player for $150 and wired it in. The stock radio doesn't have any plugs so you have to do some cutting. An adapter kit mounted it in and it looks great. I had to modify the speaker grilles in the dash to fit 4" speakers by cutting a hole for the speakers to sit down in the grilles and four holes to mount them on top of the stock grilles.
no ...there seems to be plug in's on the back side (2) + the atena.
I'm really trying to stay away from aftermarket. I was looking for info of what factory radios would plug and play from other/ later vintages.

thanks anyway....I'll keep in mind tho.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
stay away from factory radios. you'll pay twice as much for half the power and a much weaker tuner. the aftermarket really has what your looking for. cheap, powerful, easy. if you order from crutchfield (http://www.crutchfield.com/), they will send you a free wiring harness adapter so you will not have to cut or splice the wiring in your truck in any way. they will also send you any necessary brackets to mount the unit with no ugly gaps. very helpful and informative site. and they have always treated me very well (im up to 3 stereos, 8 speakers, 1 subwoofer, and an equalizer from them).

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
well i can tell you that i have seen an 89 b2, 89 taurus, 94 t-bird and 95 t-bird and they all use the same style wiring. as for mounting im not sure. look for the wiring adapter that fits your car at autozone and read what cars it fits. should say 'fits ford cars 1980 something through 1990 something' then do the same for the mounting brackets. should give you an idea of where to start

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
well i can tell you that i have seen an 89 b2, 89 taurus, 94 t-bird and 95 t-bird and they all use the same style wiring. as for mounting im not sure. look for the wiring adapter that fits your car at autozone and read what cars it fits. should say 'fits ford cars 1980 something through 1990 something' then do the same for the mounting brackets. should give you an idea of where to start
thanks...thats what the info I was searching for, I'll keep it in mind.

nidf88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the 2 wire style ford plugs go form 86 untill 97 with plenty of variations during that time. if the plugs arent the same size then they wont work (like the radio out of a areostar with rear controls or EQ) your best bet is a radio out of a 87 to 91 f150, they bolt in kinda like the rangers. most all of the other cars of of that era use ford "snap into place" technology . they take the "u" shaped keys from autozone and arent worth your time trying to secure. seriously $60+new radio w/cd player, $10 dash kit, $10 harness. plug and play. 30 minute job.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals