• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

remote turbo 4.0L

erikm

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i am new to forced induction. what would i need to do to install a remote turbo on my 95 4.0 ranger, all stock except for custom cold air intake and exhaust. do i need to recalibrate the computer for small boost turbo?(if so how do i do this?) change injectors? change ignition? i can do the fab work for installation, but the tuning part is kind of a mystery to me.

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
first of all i would just put the turbo under the hood. Second of all your 95 should be OBDII so i would go with a SCT xcalibrator and bigger injectors pump and regulator....

erikm

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
first of all i would just put the turbo under the hood. Second of all your 95 should be OBDII so i would go with a SCT xcalibrator and bigger injectors pump and regulator....
any recommendations on turbo size? i have seen a lot ppl mention T3/T4 with certain AR sizes.

skyy_4life

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
well size of turbo isnt everything. mine is .50 a.r with t3/t4 flange. turbo's do wonders for rangers. find one u can afford and put other money into injectors and shit.

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
A t3/T4 hybrid means the turbine housing is a T3 housing and a T4 compressor side. Also sizing means everything. Also if you can afford it a garrett GT35R mioght be a good choice with the right housing size. Check into master power turbos there a great quality garrett knock off at a great price.

Last edited:

98blownranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you keep the boost to a lower limit of 8lbs or less the factory injectors will work fine. and good tune is always the best way to go.

erikm

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
if you keep the boost to a lower limit of 8lbs or less the factory injectors will work fine. and good tune is always the best way to go.
as in a good tune up ie: plugs and wires or retune computer?

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
bot hactually lol but Im sure hes refering to the ecu. Or you can run an FMU but tuning the ecu would be the best way to go. You setup is a EEC V so SCT, Tweecer, and sniper and carry tuning products for your ecu and that will cover you. With the tuning you could pop in some bigger injectors a larger maf.... Also don't forget that many fords carry bigger injectors from the factory. 99-04 stangs have pink top 21#ers, mark 8s/NA cobras have light blue top 24#ers, 89-93 tbird SC have 30#ers 94-95 SCs have 36# i think, Lightnings have 42#ers. there are alot of bigger mafs that may work from many oem ford applications and so on. You will need a wideband 02 to keep tabs on the AFRs.

erikm

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
sorry for all the ?? but i am new to this and don't want to f-up my truck. would something like this, 50 A/R Compressor, .63A/R Turbine work ok?

is it absolutely necessary to change injectors?

can i just re-tune computer to compensate?

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
19 lbers will be ok if your only running around 5 lbs of boost. Is that turbo a thunderbird T3? If so it will work its a bigger turbo than I have on my 4.0. It will spool fast to compliment the low torque curve of a 4.0 ohv

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
you must change injectors if you plan on boosting it otherwise youll peg the injectors and run lean=fry your motor. fuel pressure regulators may help but only so much, hp level matched injectors+adjustable fpr+proper ecm retune=happy motor and happy you.

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
at only 5lbs of boost you will be somewhere around 200 at the flywheel and the 4.0 only revs to 5K. So it that case the 19lbers will support the power and a higher fuel pressure would be best. If increasing the boost level beyond that upgrading the injectors will be a good thing.

98blownranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you do NOT need to change the injectors, get a FMU as the boost goes up it will close off the return fuel line. thus raising the fuel pressure, by raising the fuel pressure your injectors will spray more fuel just like a larger injector. no tune on the computer. I would get an adjustabe FMU much easier to adjust than the ones with the disks.(can change the disks for different rates of change to boost)

curt

skyy_4life

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
i would agree with that. and as i said before, size of turbo isnt everthing, 8 psi boost with port and polish and minor upgrades like that will be more powerfull than 12 psi. get something u can afford then put moneys into other things.

erikm

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
19 lbers will be ok if your only running around 5 lbs of boost. Is that turbo a thunderbird T3? If so it will work its a bigger turbo than I have on my 4.0. It will spool fast to compliment the low torque curve of a 4.0 ohv
all it said on the ebay listing was the t3/t4 flange, those AR numbers....it didn't say what it off of, it is a new one for like $200.00 with shipping.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals