• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

whats it worth?

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I've found a 2.3T motor out of a Thunderbird T/C with LA3 computer, harness, turbo, manifolds, etc...but it needs to be rebuilt. Guys says it's got a burned piston and 2 burned valves. Wants $300 and is throwing in the bucket seats if I buy the motor, which I haven't even figured out if they're a bolt in yet anyway.. I'd probably go through the bottom end with new bearings and pistons and replace all the valves and valve seals. He has a new set of OEM pistons that will go with the motor.

I wasn't planning on doing this for a while, like a year, but if this is the sort of deal that I'm not likely to come across very often I could go ahead and buy it and just rebuild it as I get the money and keep driving the 2.9 in the meantime.

Is there anything I need to look for if I go check the engine out? It's already partially disassembled so everything will be there and open for the viewing.

Also, how many of you guys run 2.3T in a 4x4? It's mainly a daily with some occasional wheeling and the plan is to do a 4" lift and 32x11.50s, M5OD transmission. Would I be happier with a 4.0? Seems like the 2.3T pretty much owns all in tq.

Last edited:

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
Honestly, I wish I could find a deal like that up here. I've never even found one for sale.

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I just kinda stumbled upon it while looking for bucket seats, which I've now ascertained WILL bolt into my Bronco II and told him he could consider them sold whether I bought any engine parts from him or not.

I responded and asked him what we wanted for just the turbo specific parts, basically the head, turbo, manifolds, intercooler, and computer/harness/turbo specific sensors along with the new piston set. I figure when I'm in a better financial position I shouldn't have any trouble finding a 2.3 Ranger engine super cheap in a salvage yard, along with the M5OD from behind it. Since I've already got a 4x4 M5Od, I think I can even get the 2.3 trans out of a 2WD and swap the 4x4 mainshaft and extension housing into it.

Hopefully he'll be more willing to split it up since it's already half disassembled.

'93BajaSport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'd definitely buy it for $300. A couple things, though:

1.) Don't replace the exhaust valves if you don't have to; have them reground if possible. They are made of a high nickel superalloy(all reports I find say Nimonic-80) that would be very expensive to replace with Inconel. Stainless valves are good, but not as good as stock.

2.) Make sure those spare "OEM" pistons are dished forgings if you think you might want to use them. It's possible the block does not need to be bored even if it has a nuked piston.

3.) Check the head for cracks between the seats. If the head is only slightly cracked, it may be repairable by installing new seats(the originals are cut right into the head). A replacement single plug D-port head from a non-turbo Mustang or Ranger can replace it, but it will raise the compression from 8.0:1 to roughly 8.5:1....not critical, but it makes a difference.

4.) The 2.3T makes a pile of torque, but not at the low rpm a 4.0 does. I'm not sure how good of a four wheeling option it would be unless you ran some really steep gears.

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
ok, well the guy responded and said he can't go any lower than $300, even if I'm only buying half the engine.:dunno:

I'm just not in the financial position to pay $300 right now for something that I really don't need, since my 2.9 runs just fine (or at least idles fine, haven't gotten to drive it since I bought it with a bad trans and clutch). My wife is smart enough to know that my BII doesn't need an engine so there's no way I could sneak that past her. :icon_rofl: I've got some money tucked away in my "toys" account but not enough for this.

I'm a big fan of torque in a truck, so if the 2.3T's torque is up higher, I'll probably do the 4.0 instead. I may have to look into the 4.0 SOHC for a little extra.

I'm gonna go ahead and buy the seats anyway.

Last edited:

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
Too bad, if the guy was closer I'd pick it up. Sucks living so far up north sometimes.

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
are there any forum members that have driven both a 2.3T and a 4.0 in a BII? I'm curious to hear some first hand opinions.

Tq peak on the tbird t/c is at 3400RPM - 800rpm higher than the BII. I haven't found a dyno curve yet to see how flat it is.

Last edited:

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
A 2.3T will stomp all over a 2.9 in all applications - towing, accelerating, cruising, mudding, etc. A 4.0 will have a definate advantage getting a heavy load going from a stop or low rpm rock crawling, but that's really the only advantage. After that the 2.3T still wins.

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I went and got the seats and checked out the motor while I was there. The "burned" piston had a really small piece missing from the crown of the piston at the edge, on top of the first compression ring. The valves I couldn't even really see the damage. Everything else looked pretty good and clean, and he has everything there.

If anybody is looking for any of these parts and are nearby or willing to ship, I've got the guys number and e-mail address. Real nice guy, lived in the middle of a suburb, had a modest house and BAM right there in the backyard was a 3 car wide metal shop building with a gutted and caged T-bird turbo coupe drag race car, 3 four wheelers and any tool I could ever want or need.

I'm still wanting a turbo in SOMETHING but the BII probably isn't what I want to do it in, considering that I'm wanting big tires, etc. I guess there's a reason the 4.0 is so popular.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals