• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone seen the terminal seperate on a side post battery?

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
My mom called me today, she went to go out to lunch and her car wouldn't start. 2003 Chevy Impala LS.

I drive up there and the electrical is on the fritz, seems like a dead battery. Pull out the jump box and hook it up, it turns over slowly, but keeps stopping mid crank. I think the battery is shot, looks like the original.

Get under the hood, remove the brace and battery hold down, get all the wires out of the way, remove the bolt on the negative terminal, start on the positive and when I go to turn it the whole cable snaps loose with it still screwed into the battery part. The whole round part of the battery where the bolt screws in came off and it was dripping out battery acid!!!

I have never seen that happen before.

I had one hell of a time getting the bolt to come out because I wasn't able to get a good hold on it with anything.

Put a new battery in and it's fine, but has anyone ever saw a side post rot completely out?

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yep, I used to work for an Interstate Battery store. It didn't happen often, but everytime it did was a memorable occasion. I don't know about the Impala, but the Grand Prix's (among other cars) required you to tip the battery sideways to get it out/in. Nothing better than dumping battery acid all over the floor, engine compartment, etc. God I hate side post batteries, worst invention ever.

Jspafford

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Yep. Sure enough I had to wiggle like hell to get it out past the radiator neck and the computer. I was able to tilt it back towards me though so none spilled. It was already all over the battery tray though.

What causes it? Old age?

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
heat.from amp draw.....check over the battery cable to be in good condtion.

I use to see this alot when I worked in a shop. mostly from all the "homie" cars with the big thumpin stereos and cheap installs

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
iam manager of a battery store and i see this alot..mainly on ac delco batterys.i had 3 out of 4 break in one day...........major pain in the a$$!

Jspafford

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Haha, Yep. It was an AC Delco. Says right on the top. I put in an interstate MT-75 in place of it. Hope it fares better. Of course the battery was 4 years old with 151K on it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals