• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fog Lamp Switch

oldjohnny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
So, I'm about to install my fog lamps, so I need ideas on where to put the switch.

I got my hands on a factory original switch for free, but I don't have the radio bezel. I am thinking of running the wires up the the Explorer overhead console I installed and using the Garage Door Opener switch as the Fog Lamp switch. Anyone done this before? Doesn't seem too hard, all I need is a switch that is push activated and is as big as a Garage door remote.

Another option would be to make a hole on my Radio's Dash kit, and installing a regular switch from Radio Shack. It would probably save me from drilling my dashboard, but then again, I don't know how nice that would look right on top of the radio.

Any one has some creative ideas? Maybe pictures of your switches?

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
I like the overhead idea with matching switches.
Can you replace the Garage Door Switch to something else that's available?
Rat Shaq does have a lot of small switch.

Sorry no pics.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
There is another thread running where the guy is looking for a 2WD Bezel that has the Sw/hole already in place.
Some say to look for a Edge 2WD Ranger.

Just thought I would mention it, search for it.

oldjohnny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
There is another thread running where the guy is looking for a 2WD Bezel that has the Sw/hole already in place.
Some say to look for a Edge 2WD Ranger.

Just thought I would mention it, search for it.
I actually have searched (my friend has an 06 Edge)

I got some ridiculus prices, from 50 to 100. Meanwhile, everytime I found one that either had a 4x4 or Rear Wiper, I got a price of 20 to 30 dollars. Now ain't that something. I just decided to put the switch on my overhead console. Now, everytime I push the "Garage" switch, my fogs turn on. I kinda like it. My friend was still a bit amazed at the center console, so I showed how I ran the wires. While I was doing that, I took the liberty of running two wires up there.

I may look for one later on the road. If I ever sell the Ranger, I may have to hide some of the things and make it look stock. I currently have an extra switch from some old KC's that were broken when I bought the truck. The last owner left the broken lights and riped out the wires. All he left was the switch and lights.

Last edited:

johndeeregarner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 STX 5-Speed
Transmission
Manual
I just put mine under the dash. IDK if that will work for you, having a 95 and I have a 86. Just my two cents.

oldjohnny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Thought about it, but to me, it's either has to be very well hidden, or stock. I want to make the truck look nice. I've seen pics around here of people who have drilled holes into the dash and added a small fog switch, and looks nice, but I don't feel like drilling the hole a bit too big and ruining the dash. I thought about putting it somewhere down there, but I just don't want a big red switch down there. I got my hands on a Bezel with Fog Switch, the only problem is that it also has a Wiper Switch and a Defroster switch. I also accidentally broke the clips that attach the vents, but it still looks salvageable. If I feel lazy during spring break and don't feel like running the wire up to the overhead console, I may just put the Bezel on.

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I opted to make my own console, but I had more than one switch to worry about. if I had to do it over, I might not have mounted as solidly as I did... or made it out of 1/8" plate...

I keep my wallet in my left pocket, more than once I've leaned over and wanged my head on that thing. Last time I did that, I forgot high school history.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals