• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Motorcraft vs. Vavoline Max Life

ranger1999xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have been using Vavoline Max Life 75,000 miles Full Synthetic 5w-30 in my 98 Ranger 2.5L with 83,000 miles. I was wondering if motorcraft 5w-30 would be better just because that it was the book recomeneds. What would you use. Motorcraft or Vavoline Max Life? Thanks!

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
what ever is cheeper and still meets SAE standards

JCard

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have never looked at the additives in Valvoline Max life but since it is for high mileage vehicles I'm guessing it probably has some additive that swells the gaskets/seals to "increase the life of your engine" which would only be a bandaid instead of fixing the problem. But like I said I have not looked in to it so I could be completely wrong about this. All I know is I wouldnt use it I will always use Mobil one synthetic, so out of the two I would have to recommend the motorcraft oil before I would recommend valvoline high mileage.

EDIT: I also found this http://www.syntheticwarehouse.com/high_mileage_oils.htm when searching about high mileage oil

Last edited:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i run valvoline max life conventional and havent had any problems with it.

the truth is, oil is oil. as long as it is ASE stamped and of the proper grade, not much else matters. it just makes me feel better to run "high mileage" oil.....ahh the miracles of advertising :blush:

Anthony

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
I never saw anything wrong with the motorcraft oil. in fact I prefer it

when I bought my 87 ranger it had over 200,000 miles on it, I always ran motorcraft 15w40 and a can of 4 cylinder restore, and the truck still ran like a champ and passed inspection, and did not smoke the day I sold it with over 300,000 on the original motor.

I would not recommend putting 15w40 in a motor as new as yours though.

also I would not recommend any synthetic oil ever.
I bought a 2000 ranger 4.0 brand new back in the day, and on the first oil change I put full synthetic pennzoil 5w30, and it had a slight tap that never went away ever since. it didn't have it before but always had it after no matter what oil I ran even when I tried putting in synthetic blend, and even regular motorcraft 5w30.
I can't say I had any excessive engine wear or anything, I just was pissed off about the tap... not to mention after experimenting with different oils over the years, I don't see anything wrong with regular oil, especially if you are changing it every 3000 miles.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals