• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stuttering/Hesitation/Backfire - Finally Fixed!

indyrob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
2003 B2300 2.3L

I'd been fighting a random on/off-again hesitation, and sometimes backfiring on takeoff after a long period of idling or when the truck warmed up. Sometimes when I'd be driving down the road and give it some juice it would bog waaay down and I'd have to ease up off the gas and just barely give it some throttle to get back up to speed.

I cleaned and replaced all sorts of things like the MAF, O2 sensors, PCV Valve, Coil (x2), Plug Wires (x2), Plugs (x2 and gapped over and over again), Air Filter, IAC, temp sensors, thermostat and fuel filter to name a few.

Every time it would get bad enough for me to pull it in the garage (because by this time I was pretty much used to it) I would replace something and it may or may not go away. Eventually my gauges started acting funny too.

Finally... as I was contemplating a new fuel pump and gas tank my alternator died.

Guess what? The alternator fixed the problem. Unbelievable how much money I threw at that problem... so I hope this helps somebody else. It's been running longer and better than it has in a loooong time. I kinda feel stupid about not looking for an electrical issue.

Rob

BTW... the water pump listed on Autozone's website for the 2003 2.3L engine is incorrect. It's the 2.5L one. The 2005 2.3L water pump as listed on their website is the right one for the '03 and it's about $30 cheaper.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals