• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

35" tires w/o a lift.

Quasi242

January 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Does anyone know if it would be possible to run 35" tires on a stock 2000 4X4 offroad Ranger without installing a lift? I was thinking about running flaired fenders up front to improve clearance. I would not be against a torsion bar level and/or 2" shackles in the rear if that would make the difference. Ultimately I would like to do a long travel kit so I don't want to waste money on a lift right now. Thanks for your help.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
No, will not fit unless you cut the fenders off altogether. If you want inexpensive, go with a bodylift and 33's. There was a guy here several years ago with a fairly built-up '99, when he moved up to 35's he broke a lot of front end parts that he didn't with 33's.
The late-model front end is not all that strong and is not happy with tires larger than 33". The ONLY long-travel kit is from Dixon Bros. Racing and even the Off Road Adventures project Ranger with it runs 33's.
To fit 35's on a late model you are looking at a 4" suspension and a minimum 2" bodylift, although they might squeak in there with a 4" suspension, torsion crank, and rear shackles, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

Quasi242

OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, that is exactly the type of information that I was looking for.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
You're welcome, and welcome to TRS! :icon_cheers:

BTW, if at some point you go with the full-house Dixon Bros. setup, it includes longer control arms (so you need fiberglass flared fenders) and longer and stronger halfshafts which might hold up better to 35's.

Superlift--4", basically drops the front suspension, lift blocks for rear, pricey.
RCD--5.5", coil-over conversion, eliminates front torsion bars for better clearance, no real increase in travel, really pricey.
Dixon Bros.--5.5", the true shiznit, long travel, mostly new front end parts, new rear springs, rear shock cage that extends through the bed. Designed for desert racing. Really really pricey. Bring a boxcar load of money.

PARKINGLOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've seen 33x10.5 fit a stock 01/02, and 34x10.5's fit with a torsion crank and shackel lift...

Quasi242

OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I am finding it extremely difficult to decide between the RCD and the Dixon Brothers Kit. I don't race and I do not plan on jumping my truck. That said, I want to have a durable front end that can handle semi-serious off roading (expedition style not daily rock crawling).

While the RCD kit is much more reasonable in price, I question the durability of the remaining stock parts when off roading, especially the half shafts and front drive line. I really like that the Dixon Brothers Kit replaces many of the weak links in the front end suspension. Unfortunately this comes at over 3X the price of the RCD kit.

I would be interested to hear from people that run the RCD kit off road. Will the stock front end/RCD kit hold up over time, or would it be better to just cough up a kidney and buy the Dixon Brothers Kit?

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
For what you're looking to do the RCD should be fine. Just take it easy on the gas as if you get 35's. Knowing how to change halfshafts and tie rod ends on the trail would be good, although I've flogged two of my late models pretty good off road and never broke anything, but I only run a slightly larger than stock tire.

"A man's got to know his limitations."--Clint Eastwood

There was a guy on the old board who had an RCD, s/n Big04Ranger, I don't know if he's made the trip to the new board here yet.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals