• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dana 44 30 spline stub shafts and hubs...

Nor Cal Wheelin

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I might end up using a dana 44 front end in my ranger and saving my 60's for other things.

Fairly basic build, full width 44 / 9", 2.9, mazda 5 speed, doubler.

My question is: Does any one here have experience with 30 spline stubs and hubs? I am thinking about running moly shafts and ctm's. But if I am going to spend that kind of money on a 44, I want to spend it on the bigger outers.

How ever, if they arent any better than the 19 spline stubs... I will save my time having the spindles machined.

I really dont want to hear about how I should just use a 60... I would just like to hear from people who have experience running the 30 spline stubs. :icon_thumby:

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
of course 30 splined stubs will be better than the 19 spliners.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Fairly basic build, full width 44 / 9", 2.9, mazda 5 speed, doubler.
I would say that's more than basic...lol. That's a pretty solid build.
:headbang:

What size tires do you plan on? A stock 44 with 760 joints and full retainers should be good for up to 38s.

Nor Cal Wheelin

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It will be on 36-37" tires... Dont know exactly yet.

I am thinking original tsl's or iroks...??

As for the axle... I am going to run it with moly full clip shafts, 5.13 gears, and either a detroit or l/s diff. I would like to run a detroit, but I dont want to tear up the axle to bad. I think I will already be asking for trouble with 5.13's and the doubler.... Especially with the 36-37" tires.:dunno:

The last time I ran a dana 44 was in a samurai with like 82 horse power.:yahoo:

I am hoping that the 30 spline stubs and ctm's will help keep everything together. Guess we will see.:icon_cheers:

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I think I will already be asking for trouble with 5.13's and the doubler....
Actually I've found that with extremely low gearing, there is a lot less breakage on the driveline. Sure, with 5.13s and a doubler you've got the torque to twist a driveshaft at idle...but the wheel has to get bound up on the body or frame for this to happen. The ultra-low gearing lets you take stuff nice and slow.

The breakage happens when you get the tires turning fast and the truck starts hopping up and down.

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I would say that's more than basic...lol. That's a pretty solid build.
:headbang:

What size tires do you plan on? A stock 44 with 760 joints and full retainers should be good for up to 38s.
A 44 with aftermarket shafts might hold up to 38's but a stock d44 sure as hell wont.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
A 44 with aftermarket shafts might hold up to 38's but a stock d44 sure as hell wont.
With 760 joints and full retainers a 44 with stock shafts will turn 38s all day long, expecially under a 2.9L.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I agree with Toreadorranger, 38s is kindof pushing it on a D44, chromo bling or not. It'll likely hold up OK if you have an open diff and play gently though.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I agree with Toreadorranger, 38s is kindof pushing it on a D44, chromo bling or not. It'll likely hold up OK if you have an open diff and play gently though.

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have said "all day long". 38s are about the limit. But I have several friends who run 38s on a 44 very sucessfully...and have engines that put out much more power than a 2.9.

I also have a friend who runs 40s on a locked 44, and has broken only one joint when his tire bound on the body. He's got a 350 swapped into a Wrangler. He's not nice the the rig. The shafts are stock. But he's really pushing it.

A lot of it has to do with driving intelligently...

Last edited:

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
A lot of it has to do with driving intelligently...
Whats the point of building a truck if you cant push it? Yea if you drive like a grandma you can make an axle last. but the one time you need wheel spin to make an obstacle and BOOM.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Whats the point of building a truck if you cant push it? Yea if you drive like a grandma you can make an axle last. but the one time you need wheel spin to make an obstacle and BOOM.
None of my buddies drive like grandmas by any means.

But they also don't sit in a hole at WOT with the wheel cut all the way and the truck hopping up and down, when they're clearly stuck...that would be an example of unintelligent driving.

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
None of my buddies drive like grandmas by any means.

But they also don't sit in a hole at WOT with the wheel cut all the way and the truck hopping up and down, when they're clearly stuck...that would be an example of unintelligent driving.
If they have stock 44's with 38's and they arent breaking then they need to learn where the gas pedal is. cause they obviously are mistaking it with the brake.

When in doubt throttle out. I want a truck that I can take out, and not worry about if this is the day my shaft or joint lets go. 38's are Built 44 territory.

Last edited:

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
If they have stock 44's with 38's and they arent breaking then they need to learn where the gas pedal is. cause they obviously are mistaking it with the brake.

When in doubt throttle out. I want a truck that I can take out, and not worry about if this is the day my shaft or joint lets go. 38's are Built 44 territory.
Yeah, me and my friends don't know where the gas is on our rigs. :rolleyes:

If you drive recklessly enough, you can toast a Dana 60 with 38s.

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, me and my friends don't know where the gas is on our rigs. :rolleyes:

If you drive recklessly enough, you can toast a Dana 60 with 38s.
Which is why you should skip a stock D60. maybe a set of U1300's or a sweet D80/rockwell hybrid.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Which is why you should skip a stock D60. maybe a set of U1300's or a sweet D80/rockwell hybrid.
You rich guys and your expensive axles... :icon_rofl: :beer:

EDIT: He says he's going to run 36-37s. I think we can agree he'll be ok with those on a 44, esp. with 760s and full-circle retainers, under a 2.9.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals