• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lights behind the grille

SCAGNETTI

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
This is an install i have done on my '03 xlt. These are 500 series hella lights that are mounted behind the grille and are mounted upsidedown on the fibergalss support across the front of the truck. First remove the headlights and grille, it makes the whole job alot easier. Then i measured for center of the truck, which is 27 3/4", Then i measured the width of the grille which is 33 1/2". Then i divded by 4 and it roughly gives you 8 1/2", that is how far from center you need to drill the holes so the lights are center on the truck and layout in the grille nicely. next i drilled the holes for mounting from the top down, i started with a 1/8" drill bit as a pilot, make sure you drill through all the way. next i used a 3/8" drill bit and drilled through again. Now you can mount the lights, the fiberglass support is channeled so the nut and washer will resting in the channel. be careful not to overtighten and crack the fibergalss. Now run the appropriate wires to the relay and ground and reinstall the grille and headlights. Finally you can run the rest of your wiring and finish your install with however you choose to mount the switch etc..

Having trouble posting pics, will be up soon. trying to post close up pics in gallery.

Last edited:

SCAGNETTI

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
[/IMG]

Last edited:

SCAGNETTI

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

SCAGNETTI

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

ChesterSPL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I put 4" on mine. Also, mounted them from the top. I thought the 6" would restrict to much air and also that they would be to deep and I would have to buy the shallow ones. Glad to know they work. Good Install.

Where did you put your switch, I will post picks as soon as I can

aford89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
anyone have fog lights behind the grille on a grille that has the plastic bars in it...to me it looks like 5" ones would fit if you got them centered up and everything

jzbass13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
does the lights behind the grill seem to constrict the airflow to the radiators?

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
GREAT LOOK !

What does the light pattern look like ?
Need a pic of what you see at night with the lights on, with and without the headlights ?

Did you consider cutting through the grille so the lights would mounted in the grille instead of behind it ?

Again great look, good idea.

SCAGNETTI

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry guys haven't checked this post in a few days. I will try to get some light pattern pics for you. They work great! As far as cutting into the grille well, my main goal was to be able to return the truck to stock without having to replace anything and to be able to do it quickly. Also the grille is some added protection from someone trying to get smart and try to steal them. I HAD 4 Thule KC daylighters stolen from a '94 blazer, they might as well have taken the light bar as well! Anyways, as far as switch mounting i bought a different switch from advance auto parts and removed the cigarette lighter and installed the switch in it's place. no holes to drill and can be back to factory in just a few minutes!
Oh and as far as airflow restriction, the lights have plenty of room all the way around them, i haven't noticed any temp change on the gauge of course it is the middle of february still. If it does become an issue i will just install a lower temp thermostat. that should help compensate.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals