• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

step by step 93 ranger sas

vrruumm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Nice forum, good collection of info.

I'm just starting a ranger sas with a cheokee dana 30.
The axle looks like it is going to work great. It is close to the same width, same lug pattern. Pinion yoke is in a good spot for the stock transfer case.
I am planning a long radius arm set up because of the nice mounting points for the factory jeep four link arms. Looks like the coil spring buckets are going to be in a good spot already too.

I'll be posting pictures with my progress along the way. Please don't trash talk. Usefull input is always welcome. I am a self emloyed mechanic/fabricator and use forums like this for input on a daily basis. :icon_welder:

-Ryan

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
Just curious, what size tire are you shooting for?
No trash talk, but why'd you choose the D30?

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the forum. i am debating sasing with a d44 or a d30. will watch your build for the pros and cons.

also, what are the plans for this rig? trail only, tire size, type of locker, gears,...?

THE WHITE RHINO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
if you do the dana 30 you are dumb my opioion i guess

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
the D 35 is a stronger axle the the D30..keep that in mind..juss curious, why the sas anyways?

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
The D30 debate always sparks controversy. I'm going to keep a close eye on this thread. I DO NOT want to see any trash talking in this thread. I'm anxious to see it's progress and don't want a bunch of thread-crapping going on.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Good point. The D30 would most likly live a helty long life if left with an open diff, lowish torque, and a smart foot on the go pedle....after saying that, it woldnt live long if i swaped one in.

vrruumm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just curious, what size tire are you shooting for?
No trash talk, but why'd you choose the D30?
I chose the d30 because of the availability and cost, becuase of the nice 4 link mounts that will serve as nice radius arm mounts, the width, lug pattern and price/availability of parts.

the D 35 is a stronger axle the the D30..keep that in mind..juss curious, why the sas anyways?
Ease of instalaion, ease of fabrication of parts, cost of completed job & long travel hopefully.

if you do the dana 30 you are dumb my opioion i guess
Thanks

also, what are the plans for this rig? trail only, tire size, type of locker, gears,...?
The vehicle is primarily used for chasing parts for my shop and wheeling on the side, will be using 35 in tires, eventualy 4.88 gears and lockright locker.

I debated for quite a while what to do for the front end. I know the twin ttb setups can be done well, but would also require extensive modifications and have another slip joint & u-joint. The early bronco d44 was another option, but the radius arms would have to be modified, the front brakes would have to be converted to disk, and they are hard to find, especially with disks. (And usaully expensive) Most other axles would have to be narrowed and the lug pattern would be different than the back, and I don't want to mess with the rear, or have to drill axles and rotors/drums for a new lug pattern and have to drill again every time I replace rotors or drums.

Last edited:

vrruumm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The rig will be used for wheeling quite a bit, that's how I meet alot of my customers. My familly and I spend quite a bit of time wheeling in the snow in the winter time. I live close to some pretty good trails outside of Enumclaw, Wa. Iv'e been wheeling a scout 800a (with a d30) for a while , but it's pretty beat.

I install gears and lockers professionally and am very familiar with the d30. The axle shafts are quite weak, but the later model d30's have d44 sized u-joints though. I will swap to those if I break mine or install the cromoly axle kit.

I have only seen one broken carrier in a d30 and that one was welded up!
The aftermarket solves this problem with full lockers if someone were to run into this issue. The cross pin shafts break when they're worn through, but when you install your lockright or similar locker, you should spend the 20 bucks on a hardened cross pin shaft. Maybe someone else has seen more issues with the d30, try being more specific than calling me dumb.

I bought 2 dana 30 cherokee front diffs last night for 100 dollars. One has the disconnect on the pass side axle and the other has the solid shaft. I'll use the one with the solid shaft. I'll need to do some more research and figure out how to put some descently strong manual locking hubs on the thing (cheaply).

Last edited:

THE WHITE RHINO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
dana 30 ring and pinion with arb on light moderate rocks

Snurfer

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
an early good morning to everyone.

vrrrooomm
i for one am very very interested in the swap you are about to do.
i have started collecting parts to do the same axle swap in my 95 ranger.
i chose the D30 for the same reasons you did. people have told me that im crazy for using the 30 but the fact that its the same width, lug pattern, and already has mounting points on the axle for the front linkage in my mind makes it a perfect swap. i would greatly appreciate you posting your step by step progress on the swap.

everyone have a good day.

i look forward to seeing the project come together.

for everyone else
dont knock someone because of what they want to do to their rig.
if all you're going to do is bash an individual because of the choices they make on their vehicle, just keep your mouth shut and get out of this forum.

vrruumm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i for one am very very interested in the swap you are about to do.
i have started collecting parts to do the same axle swap in my 95 ranger.
Right on snurfer, I'll be cleaning and painting my d30 tonight and installing a few ball joints. Might tear down the two d30's I have and use the better of the two sets of ring and pinions. I have a 2 post car hoist in my shop, will make for some good pictures.

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Didn't 1badB2 have a D30 in the front of his rig? I don't ever remember hearing about him having problems with his setup. If you know what you're doing, and how to wheel, you should be fine.

Can't wait to see how this turns out :icon_thumby:

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
dana 30 ring and pinion with arb on light moderate rocks

Could this have been the result from a poor set-up from someone trying to do their own gears, or someone just getting the set-up wrong?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Didn't 1badB2 have a D30 in the front of his rig? I don't ever remember hearing about him having problems with his setup. If you know what you're doing, and how to wheel, you should be fine.
He stripped the R&P on his also.

Agreed though, the D30 is a very sturdy axle for it's size. If you understand the boundaries of it's strength while out driving, it should hold up decent.

Another buildup is always welcome here on TRS :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals