• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

newer 3.0 from a tarus to ranger

joemohio

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 93 3.0 ranger 4x4 5 spd, Im looking at a 97 tarus (non distributor) 3.0what Im trying to find out is can I swap over the non distributor engine in my distributor ranger. I have read that the blocks are the same, I would have to swap over all of the brackets, oil pan and i think the head gaskets. But I also want to get rid of the distributor set up of the ranger. I have or will have the complete tarus for wiring. the car has 45,000 miles on it , i cant pass it up.
Ranger has 128,000 miles on it, engine pings and takes at least two tries to start it , it has a rough running problem on that first try. There is a ecm reflash for it I think.
Should the non dist. engine run better than the dist engine? This thing sucks on highway hills. Nothing worse than getting passed by a loaded semi, and the pedal is to the wood.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
it is probably possible, but is way more work and money then its worth IMO. converting the vulcan from FWD to RWD is one thing, but that on top of trying to get the taurus computer and wiring to play nice with the rangers doesnt sound like fun....particularly if either vehicle has an auto tranny. at the very least, you wont have the right parts to update your rangers fuel system for the DIS engine.

a properly running distributored engine will run just as well as a DIS one.

you also need to be sure its a vulcan 3.0, and not a duratec 3.0...both were available in that year car.

Southern3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, what a turd...
Transmission
Manual
The 97 motor will work, you'll just have to strip it down to the long block and change the head gasets then put all your Ranger parts on including the oil pan and pick up tube.

As far as swapping over to the EDIS, it could be done with enough time and money but is not really worth it.

Edit: Wicked beat me to it.

joemohio

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
How do I tell a duratec from a vulcan 3.0?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
duratecs are DOHC.

joemohio

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Oh, definetly not a duratec in it. looks just like the ranger 3.0.
Thanks

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
it would probably be do-able...but if it were me, i'd pass. try to find an older taurus with a distributored engine or a newer ranger. that way you you only have one conversion to contend with.

funkingonutz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Manual
yeah the exhaust manifolds are different too, your going to have to take off the ones off your ranger and put them on the taurus 3.0, good luck, those bolts are rusty and always break

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals