• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Diesel Ranger

Ford 460 Boy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm a Diesel freak and I think a Ranger with a 5.9L Cummins would be a great project. I have only seen 1 and it was on youtube, it was a great lookin truck putin out 680HP. Just a thought.:icon_thumby:

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
A 6BT doesn't fit without ALOT of sawzall work... I think a 4BT would be cool... I would like to get hold of a small Toyota or Isuzu 4-cylinder diesel... That would be a cool swap into my Ex... If I could find one haha....

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sorry, off topic.. but there is a duramax mustang in febuary edition of hot rod magazine that runs 9.96et and gets 33mpg! now thats awesome! has i think 1200hp or something.

Ford 460 Boy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I saw that Mustang in Diesel Power Mag. I'd rather have a Cummins, but that is just my opinion.

Ford 460 Boy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A guy in an article of the Aug 08 Diesel Power Mag put a 3.9L 4BT cummins out of an 04 Kubota tractor in his 98 Ranger. The guy had to use a 3200 Rpm govenor sping in it to make it more compatible for the Ranger application and in the process up the engine output to 160 Hp and 300 lb-ft of torque. So you might be able to find one out of a tractor to swap in also.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A guy in an article of the Aug 08 Diesel Power Mag put a 3.9L 4BT cummins out of an 04 Kubota tractor in his 98 Ranger. The guy had to use a 3200 Rpm govenor sping in it to make it more compatible for the Ranger application and in the process up the engine output to 160 Hp and 300 lb-ft of torque. So you might be able to find one out of a tractor to swap in also.
i think that was in diesel builder mag too. yellow and silver one?

Ford 460 Boy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yep thats the one, that would be an awesome truck!

Last edited:

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That ranger was BA!!! i saw it in Diesel power, would love to do a diesel swap, but there are alot of other things that would be just as cool to do imo, and im a diesel freak too!!!
Beef

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i cant tolerate the 4bt...i would not use one unless it was free or real cheap and complete fan to output shaft, then i would pitch the lil monster for the first better thing that came along.

go drive something with one in it.

6bt.....yeah, thats the stuff...

what ever engine you want just do it....get it done:icon_thumby:

perkins...vw...whatever...i know i like my mpg:headbang:

bigbII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ive got an iveco 4.5l thats going intomy b2 we will see how that goes. I got it free and its in good shape. If anybodys got an idea for a trans to go behind it im all ears.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'm definitely keeping my eyes out for a small 4 cylinder Toyota diesel or one of the VM Motori engines that was in the newest Jeeps, or a small Isuzu diesel... I think a 4BT is just too much motor for a light truck... Maybe, just maybe a 3.3 QSB, but they only make ~100 hp, and are expensive as all get out... I'm starting a savings account just so that if I found a suitable engine I'll have the money to pick it up for a swap someday... I know the Isuzu Trooper came with a small diesel and you can't go wrong with an Isuzu diesel... I also think a Toyota B-series engine would be a nice one (~120hp/~220ft.lbs I think)...

MikeInIdaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
VW IDI and TDI motors are wildly popular swaps into sidekicks/samurais and other small 4x4's. A mechanically-injected turbo diesel VW motor would be a relatively straight-forward swap into a ranger. Some people have even put them in Landy Defenders

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I don't think they make that much torque though do they? Maybe for a small Samurai they would be fine, but not so sure about a 4000lb truck, and pulling a trailer... I looked into the Mercedes diesels but they only make about 120hp and 150lb ft of torque...

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
a four cyl diesel less then a 3.3 industrial cummins would be a waste of effort in a 4 k truck pulling a trailer. it would be frustrating. milage will be good with any of those 4 cyl though.

one thing to remember, tweaking a cummins and the benz takes swap costs up as well. the turbo benz is a great engine for a 2wd as is but are not as plentiful as they once were as costs go up with greasecar freaks and higher demand...this is ebbing with reality though.

i have not been able to get a good solid benz engine that was cheap enough to make the effort, there was a time i was pursuing the 5.0 tdi....but reality of 20 mpg wasnt too likely and running mix fuels was a bit tricky. power is insane with those.

with the 6.5 20+ mpg is doable in my rig. its lifted, heavy and impoperly geared... 25's hiway and hi teens city would be real easy with a 2wd. its just a 6.5 isnt as good a fit in a 2wd. thats pretty close to 4cyl gasser milage owing but with alot better power.

but in reality...i just wouldnt put up with a diesel in a lil 2wd unless i had too.

with any diesel swap, gearing transmission and tire size are very critical.

no matter what engine you use it has to be a total package.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
VM Motori 2.8L 4 cylinder (160hp/295lb/ft)
Toyota 15B-FTE 4 cylinder (153hp/282lb/ft)
Isuzu 6DE1 V-6 (174hp/260lb/ft)

One of those I believe would be a perfect into an RBV... If you could find one (easily)...

BTW, how heavy is that 6.5? I know you can find those ridiculously cheap, and if it isn't way heavy, and fits in the engine bay I might pick one up and rebuild it for when my 4.0 eventually craps...

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals