• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front End Problem-Uneven Wear On Tires

Rangerboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My '95 Ranger has uneven wear on the front tires on the inside edge. What is causing this? Is it a bearing problem, need new shocks, alignment, etc. Anyone out there have any thoughts??? Also, how much is it going to cost to fix? :confused:

Cameron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Zuk + Chevy + T
Transmission
Automatic
Most likely its the alignment.

There are 2 things in the alignment that could be causing that, either the toe (the way the tires point the front of the vehicle) or the camber (the way the top of the tire leans in or out from the vehicle). Toe, on most vehicles, is the usual culprit, whereas on these trucks, camber does play a huge roll. Over time as the springs sag from age, it gives you some negative camber (the beams are like a huge lever, the fulcrum stays the same, whereas the end changes) which would wear the inside of the tire because more force is riding there. With the toe, instead of the tire rolling, it is being dragged a little, which is wearing that edge.

I would recomend taking it to a local alignment shop and having them check it out for you. As far as cost, it depends on what needs to be done and how long it may take.

If it is the camber, there is an eccentric (on these trucks, its about an inch tall with a hole all the way through it, but the hole is offset so as it spins, it will move the steering knuckle back to where it should be) that may need to be replaced, which can get quite pricy, depending on the shops labor rate (that is if a shop does it).

If it is the toe, an alignment will fix the problem if done by a qualified mechanic.

Now, Assuming all of this will fix your problem, the wear will not disppear immediately. it takes a long time (depending on how much wear is there) to get an uneven wear pattern out.

I hope this helps.
Cameron

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
actually, it could very well be ball-joints, bearings, or sagging springs. these should all be checked before an alignment is attempted (MOST shops will check them anyway and refuse to align the vehicle if parts need replacing).

after the problem is corrected, rotate the tires front-to-back. the back axle will help straighten the wear pattern out (ahhhh, live axles :D)

Cameron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Zuk + Chevy + T
Transmission
Automatic
actually, it could very well be ball-joints, bearings, or sagging springs. these should all be checked before an alignment is attempted (MOST shops will check them anyway and refuse to align the vehicle if parts need replacing).

after the problem is corrected, rotate the tires front-to-back. the back axle will help straighten the wear pattern out (ahhhh, live axles :D)
I was assuming that the bal joints and bearings would be good, especially since the wear is centralized to the edge of the tire. Sagging springs could very well cause that, as mentioned.

Rangerboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I took it down to two separate shops and they both said my ball joints are shot! I've got to get new camber sleeves and tie rod ends too. In essence a complete overhaul on my front end. The cost is going to be $1,100!

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Wait a minute.

NO ONE can know if you need camber sleeves without replacing the balljoints and tie rod ends first. And you have four balljoints. While deferred maintenance makes it possible that all four might be bad, I'd question it anyway. Make the shop show you movement in all four joints. A competent shop will comply. It's quite easy with the truck on a lift.

And $1100 seems extremely high for this. There is a fair amount of labor involved in replacing balljoints, but that seems highly inflated. Like counting double for replacing two balljoints on the same side (it's only an incremental amount of labor to change the second one).

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
he said both shops, not both ball joints :p

but mikes right, theres definitely no way to tell until the alignment is actually performed whether or not you'll need new camber bushings. there should be no reason you cant use your current camber bushings unless your springs are in REALLY bad shape...

Rangerboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Took it to Midas...

They told me it was a steering gear and the bearings would need replacing. The total cost is $750. Now someone is off base I wonder who??? :icon_confused:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals