• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil change

tivouser08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So I fixed my trans, simple fluid and filter change worked wonders. Well had it done. Now I am finally going to start doing my own oil changes again as I used to do them on my Mustangs. Just wondering if ya'll have any tricks/tips. I know it is a pretty simple procedure, as it was on the cars. Just making sure to ask before rather than after. I think it takes the good ole FL1A filter.
Any suggestions appreciated in advance.

firefighter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
If you go for fram its PH8A

firefighter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
If you go for a Fram filter its PH8A

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Please don't use the fram filter. Stick with the Motorcraft FL1A and 4.75L of 5w30.

fleck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Motorcraft all the way. Me and a handful of people prefer the Castrol GTX high mileage oil, it stays nice and clean :eek:)

Edit: Oh and something important I remember from our oil/filters convo on the 3.0 board, oil the filter and hand-tighten only.

tivouser08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I appreciate the responses. It is a nice day here at the beach so hopefully I can finally get it up on the ramps and get it changed. So really only hand tighten the filter? Guess I am worried about leaks, but I know they are a pain to get off if put on too tight with the wrench.
Fleck, sounds like you have done some of the same work to your truck. I have the 4.0...had some bad hesitation issues but that was fixed with a new MAF sensor (I think that is what it was!) Was about 45 from Autozone.

pacodiablo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Hand tighten only! They are meant to be put on that way. If you use a wrench, you'll have a hard time getting it off next time, and it could damage the threads. Remember to put a coat of oil on the gasket.

tivouser08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Gotcha..that is the plan. Was not able to do it today but finally looked at it..won't even have to put it on the ramps it looks like. Nice! Bolt for the oil pan and filter go straight in from the bottom.

Next project after this is taking the wheels off and repainting them stock color, as they have some age. I wish I could get a set of newer 15 inch stock rims but dont' want to spend a ton of money.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Fram is fine. I've been using what's cheap since I started driving and most often it's Fram. I typically put 300,000 on a motor and give it, still running perfectly, to an underprivaleged family member. The important thing is changing your oil when it's due. Six months is my method.

tais420

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Fram is bad for these ford motors for one they dont have anti-flowback valves in them like the motorcraft and K&N filters do which isnt really bad but its not good seeming as they make them specific for ford vehicles.. trust me i changed alot of oil for a long time and it is better to keep the factory filter over a fram but it does cost of course a fram through summit is more expesive than a motorcraft actually but probably not at your local parts store oh and make sure to check the drain plug gasket my truck set for a while before i fixed the body damage and the gasket was gone so now i have a little leak there but nothing serious

Last edited:

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
It is a nice day here at the beach so hopefully I can finally get it up on the ramps and get it changed.
Well it was -20 here 2 weeks ago and I was laying underneath the truck on a patch of snow/ice with road salt spray, rust and oil dripping on my face struggling to turn a socket with my gloved hands just to change the dang oil. You are very lucky.

And the motorcraft filter is the same price as a fram at walmart.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
And the motorcraft filter is the same price as a fram at walmart.
+1. :icon_thumby:
Motorcraft is a much better filter and doesn't cost any more than a Fram. A Fram won't necessarily blow up your engine but there are better quality filters available for the same money or less.
I use Motorcraft.

Z3CHYD

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 front 5 rear
Tire Size
225/60R15
+1. :icon_thumby:
Motorcraft is a much better filter and doesn't cost any more than a Fram. A Fram won't necessarily blow up your engine but there are better quality filters available for the same money or less.
I use Motorcraft.
+2

fleck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was about to say, since when is Fram substantially cheaper than Motorcraft? No reason to go for Fram when the Motorcraft can be had for $3 and change.

tivouser08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yup...Motorcraft all the way...and used 10W30 Havoline. Still not using synthetic and not going to switch over. I debated between 5w and 10w but with it warming up went with 10. Didn't even have to put it on the ramps either. Now for the antifreeze/coolant flush.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals