• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

That darn Prestone!

DanVB1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Last spring I did the complete flush & fill on my Ranger, including changing all hoses, heater valve, pump (just as a precaution).
Used the Prestone “All makes and Models” extended life a/f.
Ever since, there has been a very slight wetness around the trans cooler fittings on the radiator. Ditto my 2000 ZX2, which had the same service!
I am wondering if this stuff is incompatible with the Ford seals. I also had to replace the heater valve again (after only 10K) since coolant was leaking from the valve shaft seal.
Any have any experience with this Prestone?

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
Same here. Filled my 91 explorer up cause it needed a little. Now leaks where the tank clamps to the core near the drain valve. Installed another. Leaks at the same spot. Needless to say I am not happy.

fordboi415

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0V6
Transmission
Manual
Let me start off by saying its not the prestone antifreeze it sounds like something was disassembled and then reassebled incorrectly, prestone isn't going to cause leaks it just a coolant

DanVB1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I beg to differ!
The corrosion inhibitor type has a great deal to do with materials compatibility in a given car - the engine, radiator, gaskets, seals, rubber, etc.
Evidently the seal for the trans cooler fitting is being effected by the Prestone chemicals.

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
How does pulling the radiator out and putting another in causing it to leak? Last time I checked changing a radiator isn't rocket science.

fordboi415

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0V6
Transmission
Manual
I've been running prestone in my ranger, my dad runs it in his E-150, F150, my ranchero, my moms F-150 and all the other fords we have, its not going to cause leaks, seals go bad, gaskets leak, a corrosion inhibitor in the coolant isn't going to eat anything, its called bad timing or a coincidence

Last edited:

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
If it's leaking at the trans cooler fittings, wouldn't that be tranny fluid leaking, not the antifreeze?

DanVB1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The fittings are fastened to the plastic radiator tank with large nuts. There is a gasket or O-ring behind the nut.
The additives in the a/f can attack the cooling system materials if they are not compatible. There was a problem with the original DEXCOOL in cars not designed for it, but I think that problem has been solved.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals