• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Camaro Z28 Tranny Probs

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hey, so I was on the interstate on my way to pick up my new Explorer, we're driving my Camaro... Running about 70, all of a sudden I have no transmission, just revs like it's in neutral... Drop it into drive, nothing, put it onto second, and it catches... Drive to the next exit, check fluids, everything is fine, reset the computer (disconnect battery for 30 secs)... Get back on the road heading home, drives perfectly, get on the off ramp, torque converter doesn't unlock (supposed to stayed locked up until you hit the brakes)... on the way home (driving in town) it shifts perfectly, but I have no overdrive (4th gear) and torque converter doesn't unlock until it shifts into 1st gear... after this, we lose 1st and 2nd, driving in 3rd only, no OD still... Pull off the road, reset computer, drives perfectly again, still no torque converter unlock...

Any idea what it could be? Tranny is automatic 4L60E... I'm thinking the only thing it could be would be the control module or something... I'm completely stumped...

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
There was a guy up here having pretty much the same problems you were, only with a 4L80E. The solution was replacing the tranny input speed sensor. From what I understand the 4L80E and 4L60E are somewhat similar so maybe it's somewhere to start.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ah, never even heard of that, haha... I'm thinking it has to be some kind of control thingy, because sometimes, it would shift perfectly, which would mean no mechanical damage...

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic

Any idea what it could be? Tranny is automatic 4L60E... I'm thinking the only thing it could be would be the control module or something... I'm completely stumped...
It could be something simple, could be something expensive. Either way, whatever it is could probably turn really expensive (trash your trans). Auto tranmissions are complicated, you might take it to a shop and have them diagnose so you're not second guessing and end up throwing parts at it. IMO

Pete

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I've just decided to take it to my tranny guy instead of messing with it... Automatic transmissions are one of those things I leave to the experts, lol...

CJREX

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Do you have a CEL?

What are the codes?

The 4L60e in my '01 SS was occasionally shifting funny and it was the Throttle Position Sensor connector.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
No CEL... How funny is that, your transmission can just not work, but you don't get a CEL, haha... It wasn't really shifting funny, just not at all... I've pretty much narrowed it down to the imput speed sensor... When something inside goes in it, it reverts to driving in 3rd gear as a safegaurd...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals