• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How long for a turbo install

jobar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
How long do you guys think it will take for a turbo install, if I got all the parts I needed before hand? I ask because, I want to do one on my 97 but, its my daily driver, and I can't afford much down time.

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Depends how mechanically inclined you are, whether you've done the job before, how sure you are that you have all the parts, etc. Lot of factors to consider. If you've positively got all the parts and have done this before or will have someone along who has done it then probably a full day or a weekend. That'd be my rough guess.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
a sts type system...maybe 5-15 hrs install.

bout 700 in dynotuning...

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
like bobby said it isnt too bad to install its the tuning that is tricky/takes a while.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
hmm i meant 700 us dollars in base tuning not 700 hrs in case that was confusing....

and if its a budget diy turbo i would take me a week of looking at shit to get locked down what i wanted to do..

jobar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
hmm i meant 700 us dollars in base tuning not 700 hrs in case that was confusing....

and if its a budget diy turbo i would take me a week of looking at shit to get locked down what i wanted to do..

How much tuning is involved, im only looking for a bit more power. Im not building a drag car or anything, just looking to break the 140 mark for horsepower.

And yes, this will be built on a budget.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
tuning with properly trained staff and equipment is the absolute best way to use a turbo on a non turbo application.

you will get best performance for intended usage that way. it would cost me more to tune then get the turbo hooked up and spoolin for sure, if i was going for max street tune and track use i would bet it over 1200...after adding suggested aftermarket stuff. thats working within oem wire/pcm stuff.

if i was " po' boyin' " with no rollers available i would possibly incorporate a later model cammer obd2 4.0 system to match the boost as it would likely be pretty easy to do myself and run ok in the end. i would have to do it to know. but past experience seems to indicate this is doable.

on edit here.............
dayum....i thought this was a v6 application

in your case with the four whizzer its a bolt and go afair.

as in get a donor and use all its stuff..

Last edited:

jobar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
tuning with properly trained staff and equipment is the absolute best way to use a turbo on a non turbo application.

you will get best performance for intended usage that way. it would cost me more to tune then get the turbo hooked up and spoolin for sure, if i was going for max street tune and track use i would bet it over 1200...after adding suggested aftermarket stuff. thats working within oem wire/pcm stuff.

if i was " po' boyin' " with no rollers available i would possibly incorporate a later model cammer obd2 4.0 system to match the boost as it would likely be pretty easy to do myself and run ok in the end. i would have to do it to know. but past experience seems to indicate this is doable.

on edit here.............
dayum....i thought this was a v6 application

in your case with the four whizzer its a bolt and go afair.

as in get a donor and use all its stuff..

So, not much tuning for a four banger. Just bolt on and go. Is that what your saying.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
check everything just in case, dont want to just ass-u-me its right and end up needing a motor instead of an oil change due to lean mix.

98blownranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
should be able to do it in a weekend, as for tunning a few hours on a dyno. as for 140 HOP to the ground. the factory motors are 130 to the ground already. well my 94 auto 2wd was

jobar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
should be able to do it in a weekend, as for tunning a few hours on a dyno. as for 140 HOP to the ground. the factory motors are 130 to the ground already. well my 94 auto 2wd was

My 97 is only 112HP I think. Somewhere around there, ill double check.

98blownranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sorry I forgot he has a 4banger

V8RangerBoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
a sts type system...maybe 5-15 hrs install.

bout 700 in dynotuning...
Um, not quite. Two of us working on my pickup, start to finish in plumbing and setting it up took a solid 60 hours. I would LOVE to see anyone do it in under 30.

Maybe if you had everything pre-bent, pre-fit, and ready to bolt in you could do it in 5-15 hours but not if you fab it from scratch like I did. I spent a week going 7am-7pm (five days in a row) to do it.

A '97 isn't going to be a "weekend turbo-motor swap" affair. There is alot more to it than like swapping a tcoupe setup into a gen 1 or early 90's Ranger. The project will go as smoothly as you plan it. Plan it out really well, it all goes together really well, trust me. Jump into it without alot of research and you'll be in trouble in a hurry.

FYI, you'll destroy a stock '97 2.3L with really any boost behind it. They'll take a couple pounds, but you're not really gonna see alot of performance there. Decent performance from a small displacement like that takes a fair amount of boost, and that motor won't handle it without AT LEAST a set of forged pistons. And if you're going to go that far, there's alot more you should invest in while it's apart. I wouldn't recommend trying to do a project like this in a weekend. Like... period.

Last edited:

jobar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
FYI, you'll destroy a stock '97 2.3L with really any boost behind it. They'll take a couple pounds, but you're not really gonna see alot of performance there. Decent performance from a small displacement like that takes a fair amount of boost, and that motor won't handle it without AT LEAST a set of forged pistons. And if you're going to go that far, there's alot more you should invest in while it's apart. I wouldn't recommend trying to do a project like this in a weekend. Like... period.
Something like 5 pounds of boost isn't going to hurt it that much, is it? I've seen people run 7 pounds without any problems. Hell, ive seen 10 pounds on a stock 2.3, but the guy had problems at 10 pounds. 5 pounds should'nt hurt it. Right.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
5 shouldnt hurt but the thing is if your going to do the work you might as well build it to get a lil more considering its going to take time to do it all anyway.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals