• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 AOD questions

fishfamilyracing

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have an 83 ranger with a 302 and AOD. I put a shift kit in it today, but it still isn't doing what I want it to do. Is is normal for the aod to shift from 2 to drive by itself? I want to wind out all of the gears, but that's not working. My trans shifts by itself at about 4000 rpm when at wide open throttle. When I shift manually and hold 1st to 5000 then shift to 2nd the rpms drop to about 3800 then it shifts automatically to drive at 4000. That totally defeat what I want to do. Is this normal for the aod? Sorry for the rambling.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i can hold each gear untill i want to shift it. Are you shifting it right? First and second shair the same detent. When you put the shifter in the second detend its now in drive, not second, which means it will shift from first to second on its on, then from second o drive(3rd). To upshift from first to second, hold it in first till your above like, 1500-2000rpm, move the shifter into the second detend untill the trany shifts, then snap it back into the first gear detend, if you do this when your on the throttle, it will stay in second gear till you let off the gas and the rpms drop to about 1500, OR, if you floor it, it will stay in second till somthing blows up. Then to shift from second to 3rd, pop the shifter into the D gear position. I've been driving my aod like this for going on three years, never had an issue. It takes a bit of pratice to get from first to second tho,..you CAN miss the shift and it will jump back into first. Go out pratice, its a lotta fun once you get it down.

fishfamilyracing

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, I'll try that. I'm not sure if I like that idea, but I'll try it. After I pull the shifter back to 1st and I want to go into 3rd do I have to shift into drive or 2nd? Sorry for the questions, but I've been drag racing for years and this all sounds screwed up. This truck is just a play toy, so far it's not what I want.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
im not realy understanding that tho. There is no "second" gear. There is first gear, D and over drive. And the shift sequince i told you about is right out of the B&M shifter manual for the AOD. if you pull the shifter all the way down, to first, that is now first gear. THE next detent UP from first is now Drive. There isnt a seperate detent for second and 3rd. When i got my new shifter and shift kit, it said "for optimum performance upon acceleration put shifter in first gear, accelerate, move shifter to the drive position, once it upshifts pull the shifter back down into first, and now you are "locked" in second gear" Think about it, when you put it in drive, and tromp on it, it shifts from first to second and stays in second untill it gets to a realy high rpm, or untill you let off the gas. SO, when ya manualy shift from first to second, it will stay in second gear long enough for you to pull the shifter back into first, and it wont downshift back into first untill the engine speed drops to about 1500 rpm. Trust me, ford didnt program the valve bodys to grenade the trany.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ya...automatic over drive, 123 then OD (4th) why does this not make sense to you? Im telling you how to keep it in second, go out and try it right now, worst case senario is it will downshift back into first gear. Trust me....I wouldnt tell anyone to do somthing that would grenade there drivetrain. remember, first, tromp on it, done let off the gas, push it into the D range, when it makes the first shift (into second) pull the shifter back into first, see what happens.

fishfamilyracing

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'm sorry, but I still think we have a misunderstanding. I have a b&m ratcheting megashifter. 1st ratchet up to 2nd, ratchet up the D. How can I go from 1st to D without going to 2nd? I'm not trying to be difficult and It's too late to try it tonight, I'll have to wait until tomorrow to try it.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
thats most likly your issue. theres no misunderstanding hear unless your runing some off brand non ford aod. ITS YOUR SHIFTER thats keeping you from being able to put it through the gears, not the transmission. I will explain this again lol, second and third gear use the same detend. Count them out. There is one detend for first, one detend for 2/3 and one detend for od, three seperat shifter positions for 4 gears. its an automatic, you dont need 4 positions just because it has 4 gears. are you useing the gear masking on the shifter its self to figure out what gear its in? if so, thats not how you should do it.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Im using a B&M mega shifter, i think thats what it is. Its been three years since i put it in. When i installed everything, the B&M book is where i learned how to do the 1-2 upshift. if your ratchet shifter cant let you shift the way you need to then your shit out of luck. It takes more then a ratched shifter to get full manual control over a automatic trany

fishfamilyracing

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not a dumb ass. The shifter has 1st 2nd Drive. All the way down is 1st, up shift is 2nd, upshift is 3rd(drive), let off gas and it shifts to 4th(OD). I know how that works.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i didnt say YOUR the dumbass hear bru. The shifter may have the options for first second 3rd(D) and od, but the trany dose not. The trany has 3 forward shift detents. The detend it the snap you feel when shift the gear. all that is is a spring pushing on a semi-circular plate with notches in it. The shift control is just a mechanicaly/spring/pressure controled hydraulic spool that controls oil flow to the different clutches or breaks. The shift pattern for the AOD is first gear, drive, od,N,R,P There isnt a seperate detend for the 2-3 shift. So when you shift into second, and then pull the shifter back into first, it locks the oil flow to the 2nd gear break, and the oil cant go anywhere, there for its locked in that gear till you put it back into the D range, thus alowing the shift control valve to re-routo oil flow to modulate the 2-3 shift. there is no way to manualy shift the trany useing one detent at a time without a lotta custom work.

fishfamilyracing

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I understand what is going on. The misunderstanding is only what we are calling the gears. My apologies, sorry about that. I bet you are ready to quit talking to me aren't you. I'll try it tomorrow. Thanks, and sorry for the stupidity.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
naw, its alright man. Im a heavy equip/industreal aprentice, and when i first started learning this stuff i was like "wtf, you say what is what?" but ya, if your shifter will alow it, then the shift pattern i told you about will work. first- slide it into drive untill it makes one more shift, pull into the first position again. then drie it like you hate it lol

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
no prob man, wait to see if you can do it, then if you can, try it out, and you will realy thank me

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals