• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

rough low rpm's

deadbeat

Reaction score
I have a 90 ranger with a 2.9 out of an 88. The motor will sit and idle smooth once warm, but as soon as you touch the gas, the motor shakes. Now if you go ahead and give it a lot of gas, it smoothes out, say after 2k rpms. But below that it never does it. I have put new grounds on it, pulled codes to find none, and swapped every sensor off another truck. Still, shakes at low rpms. Does it while sitting still so i know it is not driveline. Could this be a fuel related problem such as an injector, it used to do it really bad and a guy try to clean the rail and injectors and it helped. Or has anyone had lower intake gaskets go bad, i have checked all lines and sprayed but it seems like the valve covers keep me from spraying the sides. Any suggestions guys, i would love to get the truck running right, it is a low mileage 2.9 that doesnt tick. Also, i have checked timing and changed harmonic balancer.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
mine has a very slight miss off idle to about 1500.i haven't replaced sensors or injectors yet,no codes come up.post up if you or a shop find anything i'll be interested to see if theres a relation to my 2.9's issue.

deadbeat

Reaction score
my motor will shake so bad that my books in the seat are moving. You can see them bounce. But it doesnt do it until you touch the gas. If it is idle, it is smooth, but if you touch the gas and until you get past 2k rpms, it is rough, but driving if you have it in these rpms and floor it, it smoothes out, this leads me to believe something in fuel mixture, but i dont know what else to check or change.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
How does it run cold?

What idle speed does it run at?

What does your fuel pressure read while it's running and under slight acceleration?

Is it back firing at idle?

Pete

deadbeat

Reaction score
When it is cold it seems to shake more and on the first acceleration it almost feels like it is bogging down and then with more gas and rpms it picks up and goes. Idle speed is about 900 cold and about 700 warm. I dont have a pressure gauge but i have changed fpr, and it doesnt backfire but it sounds like a slight miss when listening to the exhaust. But i have put new plugs, wires, cap and button on it. At high rpms, it always runs well.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals