PDA

View Full Version : AC only blows out of defroster

maskale
10-12-2007, 10:02 AM
I know it works off a vacuum system but I need help fixing the problem. Sometimes the air will blow out of the top vents but then after a few min it goes back to defrost. Problems seems intermitent, but usually blows out of defrost. Any ideas on fixing it?

RobbieD
10-12-2007, 10:55 AM
What year? Sounds like a newer one.

maskale
10-12-2007, 11:54 AM

jammons5126
10-13-2007, 07:51 PM
I have the same problem on my truck and been wonderin how to fix it mine is a 98 3.0 L

maskale
10-13-2007, 08:28 PM
I have the same problem on my truck and been wonderin how to fix it mine is a 98 3.0 L

yep, me to 98 3.0 4x4

Anybody got ideas?

Hardwareman
10-14-2007, 12:00 PM
My Ranger's a 95 and I had that problem before. In my Ranger there is a vaccum ball on the passenger side wheelwell that has some small hoses going into it. Mine were damaged and when I replaced them all worked fine again.

You may want to try just removing the lines and reinstalling them to see if that helps. Be careful though as those lines are very fragile.

Allen

CMLJESSE
11-30-2007, 01:46 PM
That's funny! I was gonna post this question because mine just started doing the same thing! When A/C is on, it comes out of the defroster...and it's cold!

My truck is a 2000 2.5L. I'm going to try the suggestions posted previously and hope it works!

Thanks!

riverjig
05-15-2008, 01:21 AM
I cant find a part identification or part name for the black plastic ball which sits on the passenger side engine bay. I am also having a problem with switching my A/C from defroster. Actually, thats all that runs. Im hoping, since I noticed a fracture in that ball, that if I replace that ball, I should alleviate the vent switching problem. If anyone has any other suggestions, I sure could use the help. Thanx

Earl43P
05-15-2008, 08:59 AM
Cracked ball = defrost only until you replace the ball.

289-tiger-
05-17-2008, 09:18 PM
I cant find a part identification or part name for the black plastic ball which sits on the passenger side engine bay. I am also having a problem with switching my A/C from defroster. Actually, thats all that runs. Im hoping, since I noticed a fracture in that ball, that if I replace that ball, I should alleviate the vent switching problem. If anyone has any other suggestions, I sure could use the help. Thanx

It is a vacuum accumulator. You may be able to tape or epoxy the crack until you obtain the correct part.

Good luck

blue_demon
06-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Hell, I'm having the same problem in my 97 2.3L. It only does it at Interstate speeds. I assume it is because of engine RPMs and not the actual speed of the truck. I'll check the vacuum accumulator.

Pro_Marinero
08-01-2008, 03:51 PM
I have the same issue, and I have been trying to find the accumulator off and on for the past month. I have a '98 4.0L 4x4. I've been trying to trace vacuum lines to any kind of accumulator with no luck. I noticed today that if I shift into 4wd and then back to 2wd, the vents work with no problem. Can somebody give a pretty specific location of where the ball should be?

98ranger4x4
08-02-2008, 04:02 PM
haha! i went to this forum to post a question about the same exact problem! mine is a 98 3.0 also and mine switches to the defrost vent whenever i am accelerating or there is a load on the engine, as soon as i let off the gas it comes back out of the right vent.

Quiksurf
08-02-2008, 08:33 PM
if youtrace the 4x4 hub vacuum line back to the engine you should hit the canister in the middle, it should be behind the r/f splash sheild

Pro_Marinero
08-04-2008, 09:30 PM
if youtrace the 4x4 hub vacuum line back to the engine you should hit the canister in the middle, it should be behind the r/f splash sheild

Does it look like a ball? I looked in a 2wd Ranger of the same year and I instantly found the canister where it's supposed to be. On mine I traced some lines and I can see there's something under the right front headlight where they go to but I didn't have time to start taking stuff apart to go further. Is that what I'm after?

smoker_xr
08-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Last summer my 91 Ranger XLT was blowing <60 degF air out of the defrost vents.

I looked in my Clymer manual on how to adjust the HVAC control cables (temp and vent selection). Did that, presto, problem solved!

Take the junk out of the glove box, squeeze the sides, and let it flop down. Slide the control cable to one side and re-adjust where the clamp attaches.

Sorry - can't remember which way to slide the two controls. :-(

Quiksurf
08-08-2008, 07:24 PM
the can should be black plastic with vacuum line/lines coming out of it.

blue_demon
03-06-2010, 03:19 PM
I did find the fix for mine. The vacuum hose going to the heater control valve was disconnected.

downzero
06-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Where is the heater control valve on these trucks? I'm having the same problem! It's been driving me nuts.

Steve W
06-16-2010, 08:52 PM
Mine goes to the defrost vents, but only on max a/c. There's also a grey line that's unattached in the engine compartment, but the accumulator seems to have two lines going to it already.
Hmmm, I'm going to have to look again tomorrow!

downzero
06-16-2010, 11:46 PM
Mine goes to the defroster on all settings.

fatboyf150
06-17-2010, 05:58 PM
I did find the fix for mine. The vacuum hose going to the heater control valve was disconnected.

Mine goes to the defrost vents, but only on max a/c. There's also a grey line that's unattached in the engine compartment, but the accumulator seems to have two lines going to it already.
Hmmm, I'm going to have to look again tomorrow!

i have the same problem with my truck. after the guy put my engine in, he left the heat control vac line off. and for the life of me, i cant find where it goes. anyone have a vac diagram for these trucks. mines a 00 3.0 4x4 no vac hubs.

dsk9910
08-17-2012, 03:13 PM
After weeks of reviewing forums and tearing all that could be removed and easily put back, I decided to check ALL the vacuum hoses from the inside dash ALL the way to the Bulb looking apparatus that has two vacuums running into it, one going to the dash and the other leading to what looks like the top of the engine into some sort of unit that governs the vacuum system i guess. What I found was the 18" run that ran to a coupling was closed off. It looked like the people i bought this truck from a few years ago broke off the special connector and just put what was left back into the fitting (coupling)....WELL i decided to remove it,, check it out and it was clogged like sink where NO AIR was getting through. I confirmed this by blowing through the tube or pipe. I took a piece of stiff wire and ran it through and lo and behold it appeared to be allowing AIR through it again. I securely tightened the fittings back, attached it back to the BULB unit by the left side of the engine near the cooling fan. I went to get back into the truck and put the AC to the front vents and the others and they ALL worked just as they should be. I got a estimate that this would run 350.00 to fix by Dwayne's Automotive in Rio Rancho, NM. Just for blowing through a pipe to clear out the debris. I hope this helps you save hundreds of dollars as well.

SO JUST CHECK TO SEE IF ANY VACUUMS ARE CLOGGED OR BROKEN OR DISCONNECTED..

PIECE

rangerkid91
04-10-2013, 07:04 PM
I have a 1996 ford ranger with a 4.0. The heater and ac both work but only blows out of the defrost. Could my problem also be a vacuum problem? :icon_confused:

legoms013
04-10-2013, 11:23 PM
I have a 1996 ford ranger with a 4.0. The heater and ac both work but only blows out of the defrost. Could my problem also be a vacuum problem? :icon_confused:

yes vacuum problem. Check lines to vacuum canister/storage orb first...go from there. When there is a leak it defaults to defrost vents.