• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

CB antenna mount locations

delcogod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've been using a magnetic mount, (through thr third brake light). My garage door took care of that tonight. Has anyone ever tried a permanent mount on the bed rail top or a mirror mount instead of on the roof? Was there a difference in reception and did the SWR's change for the worse. I have a meter. Thanks for any info.

merc2dogs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
explorer sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
performance depends a lot on how far you want to talk. I mean do you most often talk to people nearby on the trail, or try to talk long distance?

for trail talk, anyplace that gives a good match will work great.

Mirror mounts are good, but sometimes get annoying if you drive with the windows down.

I prefer a roof mount, or a 102" whip on the rear bumper. That's the best all-around antenna made, and takes abuse without a whimper, I've never lost or broke one on the trail. Plus it's cheap and doesn't attract thieves. Only problem with the 102 is overhead clearance.

Ken.

IRKillroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Semper Fidelis
performance depends a lot on how far you want to talk. I mean do you most often talk to people nearby on the trail, or try to talk long distance?

for trail talk, anyplace that gives a good match will work great.

Mirror mounts are good, but sometimes get annoying if you drive with the windows down.

I prefer a roof mount, or a 102" whip on the rear bumper. That's the best all-around antenna made, and takes abuse without a whimper, I've never lost or broke one on the trail. Plus it's cheap and doesn't attract thieves. Only problem with the 102 is overhead clearance.

Ken.

if it flexes then just tie it off at the front.... the Military uses monster tall whips and we have a rope and clip that when we are driving in garrison (in the US for non speakers) we pull the rear bumper mounted whip to the front and put the clip on.... looks like a giant arc.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
Mounting the antenna sets up the transmission pattern for the vehicle.
Mounted in the rear the transmit pattern will go toward the front, if mounted to one side the pattern will be toward to opposite side of the antenna.

Also, mounting in the rear tend to bring in fuel pump noise, toward the front brings in engine noise, everything in a CB system is a compromise so the mounting position needs to be first where you wanted it and second where is matches best without a lot of noise.

there are Quick Disconnects (QD) to remove the antenna before going into areas with low overhead clearance. These QDs do cause some matching problems but most can be overcome.

Mounting the antenna on the bed rails and/or mirrors can cause interference with the body of the vehicle reducing the overall performance or transmitting distance.
Dual Antennas are a thought but you need at least 1/2 wave length between the antennas to get the best performance and distance, i.e. 1/2 wave length for the 11 meter band for CBs is 18 feet. The 6 feet you will get on a pickup will not work well. Also when tuning dual antenna you need a Co-Phased Harness and you will need to tune each antenna using a piece of 50 ohm coax, once tuned you need to add the Co-Phased Coax Harness which attaches the antennas to the CB.

Still the best location for an Antenna is on the roof centered on the vehicle if possible, the higher the better.

Luck,

mwood1985

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
cb mounts

mine is centered on the back wall of the bed directly behind the cab 102 inch whip and 15 feet of coax on a cobra 29 i regularly get out about 10 to 15 miles at night and as far a overhead clearance goes the spring lets in ride nice

Brandon12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/4.0
Transmission
Manual

Only pic I have of where I mounted my firestick. Its tuned and so is my cb so I get out pretty good. I think it looks good there and its very easy.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
The only problem with 102 inch whips is that they whip around and can cause issues as stated above but some off-road parks and some clubs won't let you in with one on the vehicle.
The newer fiberglass antennas and the high performance loaded units are newer designed to reduce incoming noise, which is always a problem with CBs.
A Wilson Magnet or Permanent Mount based loaded antennas or one of their Flex-i-Whip Fiberglass (available from 2 ft to 7) will work really well.

6cylboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I keep messing with mine. I have it on my lumber rack on the passenger side and my SWR reading is telling me the antenna is electrically short. So either it doesn't have enough ground plane to reflect off of, or I need to get a spring to raise it. I am remounting the antenna dead center today, I will let you know how it works out. Good luck

The Fox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual

Only pic I have of where I mounted my firestick. Its tuned and so is my cb so I get out pretty good. I think it looks good there and its very easy.
Can you post a pic of where you routed the wires and how you mounted the mount? I was thinking of getting that mount, but I would not figure out how to do it.
Nick

5speedin2.3

May 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Just get a Wilson magnet mount. You won't be disappointed.

You can remove the mast from the Wilson 1000/5000 antenna, I'm not sure about the Wilson 500 or Little Will.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I used to have a mag mount smack in the middle of the roof on my Ranger... I will never do that again. 6 years later you can still see the spot where it useed to be in the paint.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
Mag mounts can damage the paint but some Duck Tape on the magnet helps a lot, six years later who knows but it could help some.

A quick way to fix the magnet mount problem is to run a piece of 1x3 Tubing on the cab end of the bed up to the cab roof and add a round plate at the top to mount the antenna to. Mount the Tubing to the bed with thru bolts in two or three places, ground one of the mounting bolts to the frame, re-adjust the SWR, problem solved.

Wilson makes one of the better commercially available CB Antennas; there are others out there but none with the technology behind it as with Wilson and there are others manufacturers that are a little more specialized making only one or two antennas but for a quickie, Wilson will do it.

p.s. another thing to consider, buy the "1/2 Wave" version of the antenna.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A quick way to fix the magnet mount problem is to run a piece of 1x3 Tubing on the cab end of the bed up to the cab roof and add a round plate at the top to mount the antenna to. Mount the Tubing to the bed with thru bolts in two or three places, ground one of the mounting bolts to the frame, re-adjust the SWR, problem solved.
Why not just mount it to the bed rather than making a mag mount bracket? I took half of a mirror mount (two peices that are supposed to clamp something) and drilled 4 holes in the side of the bed on the driver's side and mounted the antenea there.

Besides, now that both trucks are kept indoors, I don't have the clearance for anything to be sticking up off of the roof.

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones

this how i have mine set up , i have always had them like this , either mounted to a backrack or directly to the cab or to the box , never had any major problems , they are currently 44 inches apart , and in the first pic you can barely see the 102'' on my dads bravada

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
Why not just mount it to the bed rather than making a mag mount bracket? I took half of a mirror mount (two peices that are supposed to clamp something) and drilled 4 holes in the side of the bed on the driver's side and mounted the antenea there.

Besides, now that both trucks are kept indoors, I don't have the clearance for anything to be sticking up off of the roof.
Your right it is a lot of extra work but with the antenna on the bed rail, when you transmit most of the signal doesn't go into the cab.
The best signals are signals from the full length of the antenna.

How did the truck bed mounted antenna tune for SWR ?

WNY964x4,

Did you tune the antenna system and use the Co-Phased Harness to hook up the antennas ?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals