• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Distributor To Coil Swap

birdmanslopy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
How Do You Do It?

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
nothing personal, but why are you trying to do it and what is this on? you can get electronic control devices that modify the timing b4 it gets to the coil and the stock computer already does it. if you are trying to go to a coil pack setup you need a trigger and a coil pack w/ the new wires, the newer coil on plug setup is similar but you need an exciter coil pack a trigger assembly and the wires and individual coil on plugs. the exciter coil is usually on the cam gear or runs off the camshaft position sensor, and some run off the distributor shaft on the oil pump, but you have to have the stator plate postitioned correctly. depending on which engine you have and what type ignition you which to use depends on the parts and placement. in other words, a lot of expensive parts and a lot of time/aggravation to achieve what another considerably cheaper part tying into the existing ignition can do. if you happen to have a newer donor vehicle w/ the system you want to use on the exact engine you are trying to install it on (i.e. 93 ranger 3.0 and 1997 ranger 3.0) you may just need to swap over the parts. then again you may also need to swap over the computers and harnesses as the rest of the system uses dif/more sensors and simply switching computers will just give you MIL/CEL codes cuz your putting and obd2 computer on an eec4 engine w/ fewer sensors. im not certain as i have never done this but i did consider doing this at one point in time and then seen all the complications etc of doing so and decided it wasnt worth the headache.

Last edited:

birdmanslopy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
its a 94 2.3 but im putting a 2.3 t in it soon.
figured there was some way to do it but you wrote it out clear for me.
thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals