• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine control system questions

e30man

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Hello, I am currently working one a project that involves wood gasification to run a 94 b2300 pickup. This consists of a device I built called a wood gasifier; which burns wood or other substances in a oxygen deprived environment, than it is subsequently cooled and filtered. This gas can run an engine, with a few changes such as timing and the addition of a mixing valve. For more info check out these links www.allenergies.net en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas and http://www.vedbil.se/indexe.shtml
The dilema I’m in right now is not being able to advance the timing, is there a way of doing so without converting back to the 85-88 FI system for the 2.3. If I need to convert what would be required? Could the existing ECM get a trigger signal from just a distributor and module combo, like the old Bosch systems? (I also know I need the older intake) Well I am looking for all you Ford experts out there, as your help and knowledge will be much appreciated.

Thanks, Casey

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Hmm, interesting question.....

How far do you need to advance the ignition timing?

Your '94 pickup SHOULD still be using the DIS system. It wasn't until '95 that they went to EDIS. You can advance the timing on your truck but it's not easy. If you remove the crank hub you'll find a pair of sheetmetal vanes sticking out the back. You'd have to add material to their leading edges as the vanes are what triggers the ignition event. Another way to shift the vanes forward, if you don't need too much advance (5-10* tops) would be to use an offset woodruff key. Though you would have to remember to mentally subtract the offset when you checked the ignition timing with a light.

I think it MIGHT be possible to go backwards and install a distributor with the DIS system. I'll have to ponder that one. I know how to remove the distributor from an older EEC-IV system and have it triggered by a DIS crank sensor and module. Nobody has ever asked if you can go the other way. The problem is that your intake won't clear a distributor and the EEC-IV distributor mounted modules aren't designed to handle dual coils.

I'll think on it some and see if anything comes to mind.

e30man

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I going to need to advance the timing in the neighborhood of 5-15 deg. The interesting issue I have is I’m going to be switching between woodgas and gasoline, so timing has to be adjustable on the fly. I know for the standard distributor ignition, MSD makes a in cab control, but I can not find the same for the DIS system. I am aware that going with the older system eliminates the extra plugs, and the need for a the older intake. Trying to find a 85-88 with a 2.3 FI to look at is hard, let alone one to harvest the needed parts.

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have actually considered this. I currently have other projects, but it is something I want to try at some point.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
I don't think that there is any way that you can switch the base ignition timing on the fly with either of the DIS systems. They are dictated solely by the position of the crank sensor. Except if you engineered a moveable sensor mount. That would be tricky but workable.

You might have to backdate your engine management system. Where are you located that you can't find pre-'89 parts? Do you know if your state/county will allow this? (i.e. do you have to go through any sort of emmissions testing?

Last edited:

e30man

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I decided the 88 or older management system would be the way to go, any snags with this conversion ie computer mounting points ect.... I'm located in Ny in the Catskills, and am very lucky this truck came from NJ, rust free.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Your not that far away from me. I'm about 20 miles east of Buffalo. I probably have 60-70% of the parts that you need sitting here.

If you had the next year newer truck then my idea of an adjustable crank trigger would probably be workable. Your year however has the sensor tucked in behind the timing cover with next to no room to fit any sort of mechanism in there.

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hunh... so you guys both know the problem that I seem to always be up against. Everything is rotted out that I get near.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Been there, done that, had countless vehicles rot out from underneath me.

My previous Ranger ('92) had the passenger's side A-pillar rot out, at the bottom (where it meets the rocker panel).

e30man

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Hey bringing back an old thread.
Well I still haven't obtained the old fuel injection system I was looking for: (85-88 2.3fi). At this point in the year, any “you pull it” junk yard in up state ny, would be an unpleasant place to be, under the hood. Would any one with this system available be willing to trade (they would be getting the 94 parts) or sell older (85-88) system. If not I may just end up bearing the cold or waiting till spring.

Thanks, Casey

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Let me see what I have kicking around.

I'm going to assume that your '94 has the distributor drive hole, 99% did. What are you going to do about the head? The '94's intake manifold won't clear a distributor.

e30man

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Yup there is a distributor drive hole, the intake I also planed on changing. I did not think there would be intake fitment issues, will it take modification to make the old 88 intake fit the 94 head ?

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
the intake I also planed on changing. I did not think there would be intake fitment issues, will it take modification to make the old 88 intake fit the 94 head ?
It would take considerable modification to fit the older intake to your 8-plug head. Your better off getting an older 4-plug head.

Do you have the drive stub or the cam position sensor model?

e30man

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I have the drive stub. I am up for modification, do you have a pic of them side by side?

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Pictures of the various head intake port patterns?

Sure, somewhere, I can e-mail them to you if you like.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals