• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Kumho's new MT anyone ?

gettle03FX4LevelII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 Leve
Transmission
Manual
i used the old style on my last truck they performed very well. I had over 30,000 on then and they still had half tread. i was actually thinking about getting the new style myself.

PARKINGLOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
hmmm...only up to a 33 on a 15" rim?

Crashtest84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ya the size's kinda suck but looks like they are kinda after the street queen "LOOKS" :bling:and not really for the trail trucks :lame:

MPolo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ya the size's kinda suck but looks like they are kinda after the street queen "LOOKS" :bling:and not really for the trail trucks :lame:
That is not the case at all. The new K71 MT's actually use a little softer compound than the old Kumho MT's and they dig damn good. Being directional they are a little quieter on the street and with raised siping between each lug, they clean the mud out very well while spinning. I drive a 2WD lifted Edge and they have gotten me out of some stupid situations. I think they so far have provided the best of both worlds, looks on the street and a damn good MT tire for there price.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That is not the case at all. The new K71 MT's actually use a little softer compound than the old Kumho MT's and they dig damn good. Being directional they are a little quieter on the street and with raised siping between each lug, they clean the mud out very well while spinning. I drive a 2WD lifted Edge and they have gotten me out of some stupid situations. I think they so far have provided the best of both worlds, looks on the street and a damn good MT tire for there price.
Have you had them in snow and ice yet? I like the looks of them, I will probably get another year out the tires on my F-150. I wouldn't mind getting something a little more aggresive performing/looking the next time around.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Have you had them in snow and ice yet? I like the looks of them, I will probably get another year out the tires on my F-150. I wouldn't mind getting something a little more aggresive performing/looking the next time around.
Winter is comming. I too am interested to see how they handle the snow.

:icon_hornsup:

MPolo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Nope, Florida man so the best I can give you is Rain, Mud and Sand and so far very impressive in all situations. And like said even though I'm 2WD, I have a locker in the rear and they do damn good in the Florida muck...

Here are a couple reviews with snow being mentioned:

“Awesome performing and looking tire. I've posted before about this tire on other reviews sites and I'm even more impress now after some winter driving. I think they look like a rock crawler tire, simular to the Baja Claw. I have them on my 1997 S10 ZR2. Off road they get great traction with dirt, mud, and snow. They clean out well and have great traction. Snow traction is VERY impressive, and I run them at 45 psi for the street with the truck unloaded and still in 2wd and they keep digging in the snow. They have some road noise, like most mud terrain tires do. They have some tread wear after 2500 miles. The compound seems soft, but thats why I think they stick so well offroad.”

“I had a set of these on my 95 Jeep wrangler for about a year until I bought a new 07 wrangler. Incredibly impressed. I have had Goodyear MT's, BFG MT's, and Baja Claws, these have out performed all of them, and cost significantly less than the others. I was shocked at how well they did in the snow as well. Off road they perform better than the GY and BFG and as good as the Baja Claws did. On road they perform significantly better than all of them. Overall a fantastic purchase. I actually found this website because I'm searching for a set of 32x11.50's for my new Jeep that I bought 2 weeks ago. “

I’m not a Kumho salesman either, lol but I think a lot of people overlook them for some reason or another. I’ve actually come to really like the Kumho brand and have a version of there tires on all of my family vehicles. They make the KL71 in big rim sizes because, lets be honest that is what a lot of people are into but it seems Kumho was not aiming to make street queen tires. Reading there info, they made them to be a true Mud Terrain tire that are still somewhat tame for the street. They also sponsor and run the KL71’s in the CORR series.

Crashtest84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thats not what i meant ya they might have a softer compound but the tire SIZES just don't go for the real off-road group.. as I know I wouldn't want to take my truck with some high $$ 20" or even 18" wheels off in the rocks there is a reason that 90% of the rock crawlin crowd only runs a 15 or 16 wheel alot has the flex of the sidewall and the " balloon " effect you get with to in the mudd

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
being a new tire maybe they'll offer it in more sizes as demand goes up?

MPolo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
They are lacking in the size department. They are however less than a year old so I'd imagine more sizes will come out. I remember when Nitto and Toyo brought out there newest AT's and MT's they lacked smaller sizes as well.

I run the 33x12.5R15's on 15x8" Procomp rockcrawlers...

I didn't mean to give anyone crap, I just got a little long winded hehehe. If they have your size, don't over look them because they are Kumho. They are damn good compared to anything in there price range.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thats not what i meant ya they might have a softer compound but the tire SIZES just don't go for the real off-road group.. as I know I wouldn't want to take my truck with some high $$ 20" or even 18" wheels off in the rocks there is a reason that 90% of the rock crawlin crowd only runs a 15 or 16 wheel alot has the flex of the sidewall and the " balloon " effect you get with to in the mudd
BFG is doing the same thing with their new mud tires, they have the big ones available but still don't make much to even fit a 16" rim. Mud tires must be a big hit for the mall wheelers.

Crashtest84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mall wheelers :icon_rofl::haha: but on that note I might just have to try the 33" and wait to see if they will come out with a 35 in a 15" rim size by the time I the balding happens

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals