• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fighting a losing battle.

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alright all you 4.0 guys, you convinced me to try a 4.0 swap. Now, if i were to go about doing this, give me some heads up on problems i will encounter. the 4.0 will be donated buy a 1991-1992 aerostar auto and will make its way into a 1987 bII 4x4.(currently outfitted with a 2.9) how much is this gonna be as a bolt in? any tips? ya i know the swaps been done a million times but i dont wanna go digging for an hour looking for a situation for specifics. please use "lamens terms"(that may or may not be spelled correctly):icon_welder::D:D

dgndngrngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
from what ive heard its an easy swap in and bolt up. its the wiring that takes a while. but you could have it done in a weekend. i would get all the wiring diagrams for both engines.

good luck! i plan on doing this eventually too

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Can I ask what changed your mind? :icon_twisted:

First off, lets point you toward some tech articles. Read them over carefully as they have plenty of information. I will give you two to click on. This will keep you busy filling your brain with info for a while.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/4L_Conversion.html

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/4L_Conversion2.htm

Once you have read over these word for word, I suggest hitting up the forums (specifically the " 'other' engine conversion" section) and searching, since this has been covered plenty o' times.

PS: It took me longer to type this post than it did to find two tech articles and a sticky on 4.0L swaps in the other engine conversion section. Don't be afraid to search my friend. Some people get kinda anal about answering the same questions over and over again. (and multiple threads of the same topic just take up bandwidth, which costs money)

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Can i ask you something?

Why rip out a good 2.9?

later,
Dustin

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You are sounding way too uncertain of yourself. You will be stuck with an unsolvable puzzle. We cannot lead you down to the last wire connection. You have to really want to do it and agressively attack it. You seem destined for a pile of parts.

The way to do it is to want to do it really badly. Then, find a donor vehicle as close to yours as you can get. You have the engine, but is the harness the same? Will a computer in an Aerostar have the same wiring as a Ranger so the harness will fit? Radiator hoses on the same side? It is not plug and play here. You have a different thing altogether. I bought all of the factory wiring diagrams for both vehicles. I did not rely on anyone's opinions. I carefully traced and marked wires before taking the motors out. It is not a one weekend job for you. It might take a summer. It depends on who you are. The person that does the swap successfully is usually done but needs help with a couple wiring connections at the end before he even registers on TRS.

I do mean to dissuade you because I dont want you to trach two more old RBVs. If you can do it, great. But its not at all an easy thing for someone that has to ask. I predict failure at this point.

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Definitely agreed.

In your first post you say that you don't want to spend an hour looking for information :icon_rofl:. Before my SAS, I spent literally hundreds of hours looking at other peoples builds and analyzing things like steering, brakes, ect. I've never done a 4.0 swap, but I can tell you that you need too look into it alot more before attempting it. We can't hold your hand the entire way.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Keep the 2.9, regear the axles to 4.10, and you wont miss that 4.0.

later,
Dustin

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You are sounding way too uncertain of yourself. You will be stuck with an unsolvable puzzle. We cannot lead you down to the last wire connection. You have to really want to do it and agressively attack it. You seem destined for a pile of parts.

The way to do it is to want to do it really badly. Then, find a donor vehicle as close to yours as you can get. You have the engine, but is the harness the same? Will a computer in an Aerostar have the same wiring as a Ranger so the harness will fit? Radiator hoses on the same side? It is not plug and play here. You have a different thing altogether. I bought all of the factory wiring diagrams for both vehicles. I did not rely on anyone's opinions. I carefully traced and marked wires before taking the motors out. It is not a one weekend job for you. It might take a summer. It depends on who you are. The person that does the swap successfully is usually done but needs help with a couple wiring connections at the end before he even registers on TRS.

I do mean to dissuade you because I dont want you to trach two more old RBVs. If you can do it, great. But its not at all an easy thing for someone that has to ask. I predict failure at this point.
your right nvm i asked.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals