• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

bronco2 tire carrier on a exploder 2door

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
just wondering how hard it is to put a bronco2 tire carrier on a exploder 2 door, carrying my spare on the roof is killing fuel milage, carrying it inside is blocking my view of my rear window and killing cargo space:annoyed:. what kind of work would i have to do?

hopster

Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0, 5.0 can't decide
Transmission
Manual
I have seen this done but they just cut the sheet metal and welded it on. If I was goin to do it I would reinforce the inside of the corner and weld nuts on the backside in the correct locations and just bolt it on.

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I have seen this done but they just cut the sheet metal and welded it on. If I was goin to do it I would reinforce the inside of the corner and weld nuts on the backside in the correct locations and just bolt it on.
hmmmm what to do

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual

Ruffinit

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
Well, as you're a fabricator, I would take a very close look at the BII and see if you can reproduce the attachments and reinforcement on your Explorer. I don't think there is any reason why you couldn't get it to work.

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Well, as you're a fabricator, I would take a very close look at the BII and see if you can reproduce the attachments and reinforcement on your Explorer. I don't think there is any reason why you couldn't get it to work.
thats the thing, i thoughts about that. but im worried about the body beaing ripped to shreds by the 31 inch spare bounceing on the carrier

Ruffinit

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
Oh.. I would be too. I would have to think twice about that one. I don't think it would be such a big deal though as long as you reinforce the mount on the hatch, or even re-engineer it so it uses a longer bracket with 3 bolts instead of two. That's carrying the largest part of the load because once you get the rack latched, the two bolts for the hinge (body side) of the rack are mosty subjected to vertical shear force.

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Oh.. I would be too. I would have to think twice about that one. I don't think it would be such a big deal though as long as you reinforce the mount on the hatch, or even re-engineer it so it uses a longer bracket with 3 bolts instead of two. That's carrying the largest part of the load because once you get the rack latched, the two bolts for the hinge (body side) of the rack are mosty subjected to vertical shear force.
yep thats very true, i was looking at it today and i have the handle to open the glass/hatch, so that would mean the tire carrier would need a total reworking..

Ruffinit

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
Get some pics up if you decide to do this, sounds like it will take some work, but it's surely do-able. If you decide to go ahead, you may have to put some wheel spacers on it to get those bigger tires to bolt up onto the carrier also as the lugs may be too short.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals