• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1989 bronco 2 cv shaft question

tbuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 Bronco 2 4
Transmission
Manual
k, my question to someone with a mechanical background.
im reinstalling my driveshaft and the torque spec from the factory service manual says 60-80. 1st things first, taking them out was no problem(driveshaft bolts), but now putting them back in looks like it s going to be a problem. a 13mm flex works good for tighting it up with but when it comes time to get the torque wrench to click it slips on the bolt, bolt having a different design than normal. im not going to drive it until i figure out what to do, reason being that if the driveshaft is not properly torqued, i think i might cause a problem at high speeds. what do u guys think?

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
um.... no cv shafts.. and are you using a 12point socket for the ds bolts?

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
I've had my driveshaft out I think 3 times in a year. I've yet to check them with a torque wrench when putting them back in, or do I use thread locker.

Is this proper? No.... Is it smart? I don't know.... Has it been an issue? No.

What I am saying is put the bolts in, pull like hell on the ratchet and forget about them.

Edit: The B2 does use a rear shaft that looks like a CV joint, I think the correct term is a rapezza joint?

I replaced mine when a U-joint shaft.

stevesb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9liter rebuilt w/new heads
Transmission
Manual
I just replaced mine with a u joint shaft & used blue threadlock so I wouldn't need to heat them.

tbuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 Bronco 2 4
Transmission
Manual
wow i never thought that i could get away with not torqueing but if u guys are doing i guess it s ok, but to the one guy, no i wasn;t using a 12 point socket, just a flexable 13, it will not tighten all the away,first because its not the proper socket i know. i wish i had air that way i could do what on fellow said put them on and forget about it. Thats the other thing, i ordered a u joint driveshft of the internet, tried to put it on but its not happing, reason being it doesn't push enough to let me get it over the nut on the end of the transmission, and on the rear diff, trust me ive tried to push that sucker together to get it on all i go was a lot of grease coming out of that driveshaft. ill wait for ur guys response, to both the continuation of my first question and this second question i asked

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You're pushing grease out of the driveshaft when compressing? It's got WAY too much in there. I'd give the manufacturer a "WTF" call.

cdubb

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i also have an 89 and my cv shaft is about to explode. would a 97 ext. cab ranger shaft work? i know it would have to be cut down, but would the flanges bolt up? thanks

dgndngrngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i know what you mean about the socket almost rounding the bolt. i just used a 12 point 13mm end wrench to tighten er up

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals