• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

08' FX4 LED tail light retrofit w/ trailer parts!

racinranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Alright i been mulling this around a bit before so i decided to dive into and bought a set of knockoff aftermarket oem 08 headlamps scene here -

you can also see the trailer replacement walmart 24$ led panels. I forgot to take pics of the lights before i hacked out the LED board.

LED board ready to be mounted up.

In this picture you can see the tail lamp cut out in the rear to aprox 2.25x3.25inches. I used a rotozip to cut out the rear of the reflector with no problem at all.

Here is the Led board mounted into the rear of the housing. Its a friction fit but i used Fusor Plastic body panel welder for installing flares/panels in body shop application. i think it will hold.

Here's the pair of them after 24 hours dried and ready for installation. The 3 wires will be soldiered the factorry tail light harness after the plugs are cut off. I will also be installing some 15ohm- 50w resisters to slow down the blinkers. Not seen in the picture.

Running lights with them on the truck.. I like the look you can definitly tell there LED, also the blinkers have that trademark snap on/off Light output. it just looks sharper than a bulb would.

Total cost - replacement lenses 65$ on ebay
- Fusor panel weld 20$
- walmart trailer lamp led kit 25$
- 2 hours time free$
- Resistors on ebay 15$ plus shipping

so all toll it cost me 120ish$'s, if you dont mind shreding the reflector set you have cause your sure you wont make a mistake then it can be done for about 60$ total.:icon_thumby::icon_hornsup:

grey ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
awsome job:icon_thumby: maybe make a vidio of the flasher so we could see the difrance?:icon_cheers:?

racinranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Im gona make a blinker video when my nikons battery recharges. i barely got hte last shot before the camera died.

racinranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I forgot to say that this mod i know works for 06+ rangers. Im thinking it will work for anything really as long as it has single bulb stop/turn/running lights
If you have a 2 bulb setup it will be alittle different

htjunkie1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Shouldn't this work also if you have the 3 bulb set-up?

racinranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yea it'll work but you'd be eliminating 1 bulb discarding that bulbs ground side and wiring the running lamp hot lead to the 3rd wire on the LED board. Or you'd be needing 2 boards per lense

dusto2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
wow that looks really cool never thought of this one i like that alot gives me ideas for my gen2

racinranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I only decided to do this after looking into the available tail light options and not wanting to have a rice burner alteeza tail light. Even the toned down black housing ones have the gay little red disks and shit in them and besides there cheap and never REALLY fit like oem ones do. I like the look of the translucent red 08' tail lamps

RangerJustin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Woah, I need to get some more knowledge of resistors and such, that looks badass! Any chance of getting a pic of what the LED lights looked like when you bought them?

racinranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual

RangerJustin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I was just looking into doing that with a set of 2000 tail lights and using the rubber mouted oval LED lights (like the ones on my tool box)

-plumcrazy

Jon581

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
you know they do make LED tail lights just like the ones you made or you can buy LED bulbs that work well but both are pretty expensive. by the way awesome job on the home made ones.

racinranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Led bulbs are in my mind a copout/sacrafice. You get none of the benifits of clearer signals/brighter markers that LED's produce. Stuffing a round cluster of 8 or 12 LED's into your stock socket isnt going to produce the large surface area of an LED board and in some cases will be less bright because they lack proper reflectors.

On the other hand, they do make LED tail lights but i havent found any that wernt all ricerish, or had some gay oval red lenses and shit. I wanted an OEM appearance.

Jon581

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
for $60 i can buy LED bulbs and have LED tail lights besides the stock bulb does just fine so i figure LED bulbs with 10 or 12 LED bulbs can't do any worse and they last forever. but yeah the whole LED tail light for our year truck don't look right

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals